The husband of Lori Chavez-DeRemer, Donald Trump’s labor secretary, has reportedly been barred from the labor department’s headquarters in Washington after at least two female staff members accused him of sexually assaulting them, the New York Times, Politico and the Wall Street Journal reported on Thursday.
The allegations against Shawn DeRemer come as Chavez-DeRemer is under fire over allegations of misconduct.
According to the reports, DeRemer is accused of touching two women inappropriately at the labor department’s main building, which is named for Frances Perkins, the first woman ever to serve in the US cabinet. One of the incidents reportedly took place during working hours in December, and according to the Times, was recorded via security cameras in the office. The footage has reportedly been reviewed as part of a criminal investigation into the incident.
A police report reviewed by the Guardian shows DC’s Metropolitan police department received a complaint on 24 January about an incident on 18 December at the labor department’s offices. “The complainant reported a sexual contact against her will,” reads the report. The MPD would not confirm the suspect’s name.
Politico, citing an unnamed source, said security staff at the Francis Perkins Building were instructed in late January to deny DeRemer entry.
In an interview with the Wall Street Journal, DeRemer denied the allegations. “I have not done any of this, and I categorically deny these things. I will absolutely, categorically fight everything in this,” he said.
The labor department did not immediately respond to requests for comment.
Chavez-DeRemer, a former congresswoman who lost her seat representing part of the Portland metro area in 2024, was nominated to Trump’s cabinet shortly after he won the election. Since then, she has faced several controversies of her own.
In January, a security officer assigned to protect the labor secretary was reportedly placed on leave as officials investigate an alleged romantic relationship between them.
Two of the secretary’s top aides were also placed on leave as the department’s inspector general reportedly investigated allegations that Chavez-DeRemer drank in her office during work hours and used taxpayer funds to pay for personal trips to destinations such as Las Vegas. One of those trips was allegedly with a staffer she was reportedly having an inappropriate relationship with.
The labor department and Chavez DeRemer’s attorney have denied the allegations.
A biography of the secretary on the department’s website says she “and her high school sweetheart, Dr Shawn DeRemer, founded an anesthesia management company and several medical clinics across the Pacific north-west”.
Source: US Politics - theguardian.com
