More stories

  • in

    Clashes at Soccer Match Kill Dozens in Guinea

    It was unclear on Sunday how many people were killed, but at least one estimate neared 100 people.Dozens of people were killed on Sunday in clashes during a soccer match in Guinea, according to media reports.The violence occurred during a game between the Labe and Nzerekore soccer teams in the city of Nzerekore, the second-largest city in the West African nation.It was unclear on Sunday how many people were killed. Agence France-Presse, citing local hospital sources, said there were “dozens dead,” with one doctor estimating the death toll was closer to “around 100” people.Prime Minister Bah Oury of Guinea condemned the violence in a statement on X on Sunday.“The government deplores the incidents that marred the football match between the Labe and Nzerekore teams this afternoon in Nzerekore,” Mr. Oury said.The government called for calm “so that hospital services are not hindered in providing first aid to the injured,” Mr. Oury said.More information will be released when it becomes available, Mr. Oury said.It’s unclear exactly what led to the violence. Agence France-Presse spoke to a witness who said the clashes erupted after a disputed call by a referee that led to fans invading the field.One doctor at the local hospital told Agence France-Presse that the facility and morgue were filling up with bodies.The game was part of a tournament honoring Col. Mamady Doumbouya, Guinea’s military leader, who seized power in 2021.Nzerekore, which has a population of about 200,000 people, is about 555 miles southeast of the capital.This is a developing story. More

  • in

    Kash Patel Would Bring Bravado and Baggage to F.B.I. Role

    President-elect Donald J. Trump’s choice to run the F.B.I. has a record in and out of government that is likely to raise questions during his Senate confirmation hearings.Few people tapped for any top federal post, much less a job as vital as F.B.I. director, have come with quite so much bravado, bombast or baggage as Kash Patel.On Saturday, Mr. Patel, 44, a Long Island-born provocateur and right-wing operative, was named by President-elect Donald J. Trump to lead the F.B.I., an agency he has accused of leading a “deep state” witch hunt against Mr. Trump. The announcement amounted to a de facto dismissal of the current director, Christopher A. Wray, who was appointed to the job by Mr. Trump and still has almost three years left on his 10-year term.Mr. Patel’s maximum-volume threats to exact far-reaching revenge on Mr. Trump’s behalf have endeared him to his boss and Trump allies who say the bureau needs a disrupter to weed out bias and reshape its culture.But his record as a public official and his incendiary public comments are likely to provoke intense questioning when the Senate weighs his nomination — and determines whether he should run an agency charged with protecting Americans from terrorism, street crime, cartels and political corruption, along with the threat posed by China, which Mr. Wray has described as existential.Here are some of the things Mr. Patel has said and done that could complicate his confirmation.He was accused of nearly botching a high-stakes hostage rescue.In October 2020, Mr. Patel, then a senior national intelligence official in the Trump administration, inserted himself into a secret effort by members of SEAL Team Six to rescue Philip Walton, an American who was 27 at the time and had been kidnapped by gunmen in Niger and taken to Nigeria.Mr. Patel, whose involvement broke with protocol, assured the State and Defense Departments that the Nigerian government had been told of the operation.We are having trouble retrieving the article content.Please enable JavaScript in your browser settings.Thank you for your patience while we verify access. If you are in Reader mode please exit and log into your Times account, or subscribe for all of The Times.Thank you for your patience while we verify access.Already a subscriber? Log in.Want all of The Times? Subscribe. More

  • in

    Syria’s Rebels Struck When Assad’s Allies Were Weakened and Distracted

    Diminished support for the Syrian government from Iran, Hezbollah and Russia enabled opposition forces to take the initiative and seize new territory.For years, President Bashar al-Assad of Syria was able to beat back opposition fighters with the help of Russia, Iran and Hezbollah. Now, with those allies weakened or distracted by their own conflicts, rebels have seized the opportunity to shift the balance of power.The rebel fighters spent months training and preparing for a surprise offensive, but even they may not have predicted how quickly they would advance. On Saturday, the rebels said they had captured almost all of Aleppo, one of Syria’s biggest cities, and they now control a broad stretch of land in the west and northwest of the country, according to the rebels and the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, a British-based war monitor.The timing of the assault and its success, analysts say, reveal the vulnerabilities of Mr. al-Assad’s once formidable coalition.The Syrian civil war started 13 years ago when peaceful anti-government protests were met with brutal crackdowns, escalating into a conflict between forces loyal to Mr. al-Assad and rebels. Over time, the combatants drew support and foreign fighters from regional and international powers.Iran, Hezbollah and Russia all sent help to the Syrian military. Hezbollah and Iranian-backed fighters battled alongside Syrian forces, Russia and Iran sent military advisers, and Russia carried out intense airstrikes on rebel-held territory.But today, Iran has been weakened by Israeli airstrikes, battlefield losses by its proxy forces — the so-called axis of resistance — and an economic crisis at home. Hezbollah, one of those proxy forces, has been battered and diminished after 13 months of war with Israel and the killing of its leader, Hassan Nasrallah. And Russia is now nearing the end of its third year of a war of attrition with Ukraine.We are having trouble retrieving the article content.Please enable JavaScript in your browser settings.Thank you for your patience while we verify access. If you are in Reader mode please exit and log into your Times account, or subscribe for all of The Times.Thank you for your patience while we verify access.Already a subscriber? Log in.Want all of The Times? Subscribe. More

  • in

    NYT Crossword Answers for Dec. 2, 2024

    Andrea Carla Michaels and Kevin Christian go for a run.Jump to: Today’s Theme | Tricky CluesMONDAY PUZZLE — What a treat to begin my December with a crossword by Andrea Carla Michaels and Kevin Christian. I’ve had the good fortune of writing about two of their puzzles: The first played on “color commentary,” and the second counted types of beans (as a “bean counter” might).Another grid from them, another grin from me: This puzzle was a delight to solve, as I expected it would be, and conceals an elegant theme that’s certain to elicit oohs and aahs — albeit not necessarily in that order.Today’s ThemeAll of today’s themed entries begin with P_SS, which would be a cute — if somewhat simple — gimmick on its own. But read between these letters, and you’ll discover what really makes the theme sing: The entries’ vowels run A-E-I-O-U.Here’s the full set, with vowels in bold: A [Trend that’s here today, gone tomorrow] is a PASSING FAD (16A). If you’re [Seeing the glass half-empty], you’re being PESSIMISTIC (23A). To be [Beyond irritated] is to be PISSED OFF (33A). You might call a [Potential option] a POSSIBILITY (47A). And finally, one who [Tiptoes, as around a touchy subject] PUSSYFOOTS (56A).Tricky Clues13A. We may tear up at emotional scenes in movies or TV shows, but this [Culinary tear-jerker] relies on a purely chemical reaction: ONION.We are having trouble retrieving the article content.Please enable JavaScript in your browser settings.Thank you for your patience while we verify access. If you are in Reader mode please exit and log into your Times account, or subscribe for all of The Times.Thank you for your patience while we verify access.Already a subscriber? Log in.Want all of The Times? Subscribe. More

  • in

    Syria Rebels Take Aleppo Airport and Attack Hama, Officials and a Monitor Say

    Forces opposed to President Bashar al-Assad have captured the Aleppo airport and are attacking the western city of Hama, according to local officials and a Britain-based war monitor.Rebel forces advanced in Syria on Sunday amid fierce fighting, capturing the airport of the major city of Aleppo and attacking the outskirts of the western city of Hama, according to local officials and the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights. Government troops loyal to President Bashar al-Assad were trying to repel them, they said.The rebels had captured much of Aleppo a day earlier in a surprise offensive. They now control a broad swath of land across the provinces of Hama, Idlib and Aleppo, in the west and northwest of Syria, according to information from local officials and the Observatory, a Britain-based war monitor.The New York Times also observed rebels in control of parts of Hama Province as well as neighborhoods in the east of the city of Aleppo and parts of the countryside beyond it that government forces had held only days earlier.Government troops were battling to defend the city of Hama from being overrun, according to the Observatory. Syrian government warplanes were also bombing territory that was now held by the rebels, causing civilian casualties, the monitor said.It said that government forces were receiving support from Russian fighter jets, which were striking targets across the countryside near Hama and Idlib province.Russia, which is allied with Mr. Assad, has repeatedly come to his aid since early in the civil war that broke out in 2011, after protests over Mr. Assad’s autocratic rule drew a swift and bloody military crackdown. Mr. al-Assad has also counted on military and political support from Iran. More

  • in

    Former Defense Minister Accuses Israel of Committing War Crimes in Gaza

    The comments by Moshe Yaalon were swiftly denied and condemned by allies of Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu of Israel, who said that they would hurt the country and help its enemies.A former Israeli defense minister has accused Israel of committing war crimes and ethnic cleansing in the Gaza Strip, a rare critique from a member of the security establishment at a time of war.The comments by Moshe Yaalon came amid mounting criticism of the Israeli military’s conduct in Gaza. They were swiftly denied and condemned by allies of Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu of Israel, saying that they would hurt the country and help its enemies.Mr. Yaalon served as the Israeli military’s chief of staff during the second intifada and as Mr. Netanyahu’s defense minister during the 2014 war in Gaza, the longest conflict between Israel and Hamas before the current war. But he broke with Mr. Netanyahu in 2016 and has since become a critic of the Israeli leader.At an event on Saturday, Mr. Yaalon denounced Mr. Netanyahu’s government for its actions in Gaza.“The path they’re dragging us down is to occupy, annex, and ethnically cleanse — look at the northern strip,” he said. He also said Israel was being pulled in the direction of building settlements in Gaza, a notion that is supported by far-right politicians in Mr. Netanyahu’s government.When the interviewer at the event asked Mr. Yaalon to clarify whether he thought Israel was on the way to carrying out ethnic cleansing, he responded: “Why on the way? What’s happening there? What’s happening there?”“There’s no Beit Lahia. There’s no Beit Hanoun. They’re now operating in Jabaliya. They’re basically cleaning the territory of Arabs,” he said, referring to towns and cities in northern Gaza where a renewed Israeli offensive against the militant group Hamas has caused extensive damage in recent months. Tens of thousands of Palestinians have been killed in Gaza since the war began in response to the deadly Hamas-led attack on Israel in October 2023.We are having trouble retrieving the article content.Please enable JavaScript in your browser settings.Thank you for your patience while we verify access. If you are in Reader mode please exit and log into your Times account, or subscribe for all of The Times.Thank you for your patience while we verify access.Already a subscriber? Log in.Want all of The Times? Subscribe. More

  • in

    Wisconsin Democratic Chair Says He Is the One to Revive a Distressed Party

    Ben Wikler, who has led the Wisconsin Democratic Party since 2019, announced a bid to be national party chair with a platform to “unite, fight, win.”Ben Wikler, the Wisconsin Democratic chairman and a prolific party fund-raiser with deep connections in Washington, announced on Sunday that he was entering the race to lead the Democratic National Committee.Mr. Wikler, 43, has led Wisconsin Democrats since 2019, and he has served as a top official at MoveOn, the progressive advocacy group. He said in an interview that he aimed to do for the national party what he did in Wisconsin, where he presided over the rebuilding of a party weakened by years of full Republican control of the state’s government.Mr. Wikler, whose start in politics came in part as a research assistant for Al Franken, joins a field of party-chair hopefuls that includes Ken Martin, the Minnesota Democratic chairman; Martin O’Malley, the former Maryland governor; and James Skoufis, a little-known New York state senator. While Mr. Martin has said he has endorsements from 83 of the 448 voting members of the D.N.C. (and Mr. O’Malley has said he has endorsements from three, and Mr. Skoufis does not have any), Mr. Wikler would not say his level of support when asked.That was not the only question Mr. Wikler declined to answer in an interview this weekend. He would also not say which state he thinks should vote first in the 2028 presidential primary or whether President Biden should have sought re-election.“My platform in this race is unite, fight, win,” Mr. Wikler said. “Uniting starts not with recriminations but with reckoning and with curiosity and data. And then you use all that to inform the way that you fight the next battle.”Jaime Harrison, the departing party chairman, is not seeking re-election. Others considering entering the race include former Representative Max Rose of New York; Chuck Rocha, a strategist who worked on Bernie Sanders’s presidential campaign in 2020; and Mallory McMorrow, a Michigan state legislator. Mr. Harrison has scheduled the meeting for the vote to replace him for Feb. 1 in Oxon Hill, Md.We are having trouble retrieving the article content.Please enable JavaScript in your browser settings.Thank you for your patience while we verify access. If you are in Reader mode please exit and log into your Times account, or subscribe for all of The Times.Thank you for your patience while we verify access.Already a subscriber? Log in.Want all of The Times? Subscribe. More

  • in

    How the NYT Super Mega Crossword in Puzzle Mania Is Made

    The centerpiece of the annual Puzzle Mania print section requires a big helping of teamwork, with a side order of patience.Any puzzle maker will tell you that building a crossword is no easy task. (If you need proof, we’ve previously followed a group of New York Times crossword constructors as they make one.)Crossword construction requires, among other skills, an eye for wordplay, a keen sense for what makes an answer entertaining and, above all, patience. That last trait enables a constructor to hang in there when trying to fill in the blank grid of a stubborn daily (typically 15×15 squares) or Sunday crossword (usually 21×21). The answers don’t just cross themselves, and puzzle makers often run into sections of their grids that they can’t fill unless they make substantial changes.Now imagine that you are a constructor and the blank puzzle grid in front of you is 50×50 squares, far larger than any puzzle The New York Times offers. Your job is to make an entertaining crossword that stands on its own but also contains clues and entries that connect to a contest. The finished grid is larger than most crossword software can handle on one screen, so you have to make the puzzle in sections and find a way to put it together. Oh, and you are not allowed to have duplicate entries, a rule that can be dicey when you’re trying to fill a big space one section at a time.No pressure, right? It’s only the centerpiece of Puzzle Mania, the 12-page print section that The New York Times Magazine has published annually since 2016. The section was the creation of Jake Silverstein, the editor of The New York Times Magazine; Caitlin Roper, then the special sections editor; and Will Shortz, the lead puzzle editor.Ms. Roper had been brought on to create the look and feel of this new project, and she was intrigued: The Times offered a variety of special digital features, she said recently, so why not do something equally delightful in print?The Super Mega would be the centerfold, enabling the constructor and puzzle editors to build the largest crossword that could fit across the giant sheet of paper. The approximately 700 clues would be packed onto a separate page in the Puzzle Mania section.We are having trouble retrieving the article content.Please enable JavaScript in your browser settings.Thank you for your patience while we verify access. If you are in Reader mode please exit and log into your Times account, or subscribe for all of The Times.Thank you for your patience while we verify access.Already a subscriber? Log in.Want all of The Times? Subscribe. More