More stories

  • in

    Elon Musk Deletes His Post Asking Why No One Has Tried to Assassinate Biden or Harris

    Hours after what the F.B.I. called a second attempted assassination of former President Donald J. Trump, Elon Musk wrote on his social media site — and then deleted — a post suggesting it was odd that nobody had tried to kill President Biden or Vice President Kamala Harris.Mr. Musk said the post on X had been intended as a joke.In response to a user who asked, “Why they want to kill Donald Trump?” Mr. Musk, who has endorsed the former president and comments frequently on the U.S. presidential campaign, wrote: “And no one is even trying to assassinate Biden/Kamala.” His post, which was captured by X users, included a thinking-face emoji.Mr. Musk took down the post after it immediately drew outrage. X says he has more than 197 million followers on the platform, which he bought in 2022.“Well, one lesson I’ve learned is that just because I say something to a group and they laugh doesn’t mean it’s going to be all that hilarious as a post on X,” he said in a follow-up post early Monday. “Turns out that jokes are WAY less funny if people don’t know the context and the delivery is plain text,” he wrote in another.The Secret Service said on Sunday that it had fired on an armed man at Mr. Trump’s golf club in West Palm Beach, Fla., while the former president was playing. A suspect was later arrested. The incident followed one in July in which Mr. Trump was shot in the ear by a would-be assassin while he was holding a rally in Pennsylvania. The shooter was killed by law enforcement officers.Mr. Musk, the world’s richest man, has established a reputation as an edgy plutocrat not bound by social conventions when it comes to expressing his opinions and broadcasting what is on his mind to his followers. His power and wealth have made him relatively impervious to criticism, and his bluntness has made him a hero to many on the right who oppose what they call political correctness.Several of his recent posts about the election have drawn criticism. Last week, he amplified the bogus right-wing claims that immigrants were eating pets in Springfield, Ohio. And after the music superstar Taylor Swift said last week that she would vote for Ms. Harris, signing her endorsement “Childless Cat Lady” in a reference to comments by Mr. Trump’s running mate, Mr. Musk appeared to offer jokingly to impregnate Ms. Swift, writing: “Fine Taylor … you win … I will give you a child and guard your cats with my life.” More

  • in

    ‘Shogun’ Wins the Emmy for Best Drama, Capping a Big Night

    “Shogun,” the hit FX series that expansively reimagined a hugely popular previous version of the show, took home the Emmy on Sunday for best drama.The win capped a successful evening for the remake, which picked up several other Emmys as the awards ceremony progressed. “Shogun” came into the night leading all programs with 25 Emmy nominations; last weekend, it won 14 Creative Arts Emmys, setting a record for the most Emmy wins by a show in a single year before Sunday’s ceremony even began. On Sunday, it won several more, including one Emmy each for Hiroyuki Sanada and Anna Sawai, the lead actor and actress in the series. Frederick E.O. Toye also won for outstanding directing.“Shogun” is a remake of the 1980 NBC mini-series of the same name. And that mini-series was itself an adaptation of the 1975 novel by James Clavell.Set in 17th-century Japan, the story involves an English sailor, John Blackthorne (played by Cosmo Jarvis), who lands in Japan and becomes embroiled in a deadly political conflict involving the shrewd Lord Toranaga (Sanada) and his translator, Lady Mariko (Sawai). Unlike the 1980 mini-series, which was centered on Blackthorne, the new “Shogun” is told primarily through the viewpoints of its main Japanese characters.After its debut in February, many viewers and critics praised the new version’s epic scope and attention to authenticity. It was initially billed as a limited series, but the designation changed when FX announced in May that it was developing additional seasons.Other nominees for best drama included: “3 Body Problem,” “The Crown,” “Fallout,” “The Gilded Age,” “The Morning Show,” “Mr. & Mrs. Smith” and “Slow Horses.” More

  • in

    Best Red Carpet Fashion At the Emmys: Jennifer Aniston, Ayo Edebiri & More

    For people who like to look at clothes, there have lately been many opportunities on red carpets and off. Movie stars were in the spotlight at film festivals in Venice and Toronto. New York Fashion Week brought industry players and followers to parties, front rows and the city’s streets. Pop stars had their night at the MTV Video Music Awards.On Sunday, it was the TV world’s turn with the Emmy Awards. The event took place less than a year since the last Emmys ceremony in January, but the shorter-than-usual interim did not affect the spectacle of the red carpet.Actresses like Selena Gomez, Quinta Brunson and Sheryl Lee Ralph radiated sleek sophistication in black dresses that hugged curves and showed skin. Actors like Andrew Scott, Lionel Boyce and Dan Levy, who hosted the ceremony with his father, Eugene, chose modern interpretations of classic penguin suits. Over-the-top costumes worn by a group of contestants from “RuPaul’s Drag Race” amped up the camp.The fashion on the red carpet at the 76th Emmy Awards ran the gamut, but these 16 looks were among the most notable — for good reasons and bad.Jennifer Aniston: Most Familiar!Frazer Harrison/Getty ImagesA career spanning more than four decades has taught the actress, a star of “The Morning Show,” a thing or two about red carpets. Among them: It is hard to go wrong with a simple silhouette like that of her columnar, beaded Oscar de la Renta gown.We are having trouble retrieving the article content.Please enable JavaScript in your browser settings.Thank you for your patience while we verify access. If you are in Reader mode please exit and log into your Times account, or subscribe for all of The Times.Thank you for your patience while we verify access.Already a subscriber? Log in.Want all of The Times? Subscribe. More

  • in

    ‘Baby Reindeer’ Wins the Emmy for Best Limited Series

    “Baby Reindeer,” the Netflix hit based on the creator and star’s experience with a stalker, won the Emmy on Sunday for best limited or anthology series.The seven-episode limited series took off after it was released in April, resonating with audiences who became captivated by the protagonist’s story, and with the show’s searing portrayal of masculinity, predatory grooming and sexual abuse.In the show, the character Donny (played by the show’s creator, Richard Gadd), is tormented by a woman named Martha whom he first encounters while working at a bar. But Donny, an aspiring comedian who is struggling with his sexuality, refuses for weeks to entirely dismiss Martha and the attention she provides. Viewers eventually discover that some of Donny’s insecurity and hurt stem from an abusive relationship in his past.“Baby Reindeer” was viewed more than 50 million times in the four weeks after it debuted, according to Netflix. It has also earned several awards and coming into Sunday, the series had 11 Emmy nominations, having won multiple Creative Arts Emmys. Jessica Gunning, who plays Martha, also won a supporting actress Emmy on Sunday; Gadd won the lead actor and writing awards for a limited or anthology series.”If ‘Baby Reindeer’ has proved anything it’s that there is no set formula to this — that you don’t need big stars, long-running series, catchall storytelling to have a hit,” Gadd said in accepting the award. “Really, really, the only constant across any success in television is good storytelling — good storytelling that speaks to our times.”But “Baby Reindeer” has also caused headaches for the streamer and for Gadd: In June, a woman who says the Martha character was modeled after her brought a defamation suit against Netflix. (Netflix has said it intends “to defend this matter vigorously”; Gadd has called the story a “fictionalized retelling of my emotional journey.”)Other nominees in the category included “Fargo,” “Lessons in Chemistry,” “Ripley” and “True Detective: Night Country.” More

  • in

    Candice Bergen Takes a Jab at JD Vance at the Emmys

    The actress Candice Bergen was summoned to the Emmys this year to present an award. She also landed a political jab.Bergen is perhaps best known for playing the titular character in “Murphy Brown.” In her brief remarks, she recalled that her character, an unmarried news anchor, was rebuked by Vice President Dan Quayle in 1992 after she gave birth to a baby boy.The criticism from Quayle came during his unsuccessful re-election campaign with President George H.W. Bush. While Quayle was talking about family values, he said that Bergen’s character was “mocking the importance of fathers, by bearing a child alone, and calling it just another ‘lifestyle choice.’”Bergen won five Emmys for her work on “Murphy Brown.” At Sunday’s ceremony, she recalled the kerfuffle with Quayle, which became front-page news, and offered a quip.“Oh, how far we’ve come,” Bergen said. “Today, a Republican candidate for vice president would never attack a woman for having kids.”It was a thinly veiled reference to Senator JD Vance of Ohio, former President Donald J. Trump’s running mate, who has complained that the United States is being run by Democrats, specifically “a bunch of childless cat ladies.”Aware of this, Bergen continued, “So, as they say, my work here is done.”Then she added some onomatopoeia: “Meow.” More

  • in

    Suspected Gunman at Trump Golf Course Said He Was Willing to Fight and Die in Ukraine

    Ryan Wesley Routh, the 58-year-old man who was arrested on Sunday in connection with what the F.B.I. described as an attempted assassination on former President Donald J. Trump, had expressed the desire to fight and die in Ukraine.Mr. Routh’s posts on the social media site X revealed a penchant for violent rhetoric in the weeks after Russia’s invasion of Ukraine in 2022. “I AM WILLING TO FLY TO KRAKOW AND GO TO THE BORDER OF UKRAINE TO VOLUNTEER AND FIGHT AND DIE,” he wrote.On the messaging application Signal, Mr. Routh wrote that “Civilians must change this war and prevent future wars” as part of his profile bio. On WhatsApp, his bio read, “Each one of us must do our part daily in the smallest steps help support human rights, freedom and democracy; we each must help the chinese.”Mr. Routh, a former roofing contractor from Greensboro, N.C., was interviewed by The New York Times in 2023 for an article about Americans volunteering to aid the war effort in Ukraine. Mr. Routh, who had no military experience, said he had traveled to the country after Russia’s invasion and wanted to recruit Afghan soldiers to fight there.In a telephone interview with The New York Times in 2023, when Mr. Routh was in Washington, he spoke with a self-assuredness of a seasoned diplomat who thought his plans to support Ukraine’s war effort were sure to succeed. But he appeared to have little patience for anyone who got in his way. When an American foreign fighter seemed to talk down to him in a Facebook message he shared with The New York Times, Mr. Routh said, “he needs to be shot.”In the interview, Mr. Routh said he was in Washington to meet with the U.S. Commission on Security and Cooperation in Europe, known as the Helsinki Commission “for two hours” to help push for more support for Ukraine. The commission is led by members of Congress and staffed by congressional aides. It is influential on matters of democracy and security and has been vocal in supporting Ukraine.We are having trouble retrieving the article content.Please enable JavaScript in your browser settings.Thank you for your patience while we verify access. If you are in Reader mode please exit and log into your Times account, or subscribe for all of The Times.Thank you for your patience while we verify access.Already a subscriber? Log in.Want all of The Times? Subscribe. More

  • in

    Trump está a salvo tras reportarse un tiroteo en su campo de golf

    La Oficina Federal de Investigación dijo que estaba investigando lo que parecía ser un segundo intento de asesinato contra el expresidente Donald Trump.[Estamos en WhatsApp. Empieza a seguirnos ahora]La Oficina Federal de Investigación dijo el domingo que estaba investigando lo que parecía ser un intento de asesinato al expresidente Donald Trump mientras jugaba al golf en uno de sus clubes en Florida.Las autoridades dijeron que Trump estaba a salvo. Hace poco menos de dos meses, fue herido en un intento de asesinato durante un mitin en Butler, Pensilvania.“El FBI ha respondido a West Palm Beach, Florida, y está investigando lo que parece ser un intento de asesinato al expresidente Trump”, dijo la agencia en un comunicado.Los disparos se produjeron el domingo en el terreno del Trump International Golf Course West Palm Beach, dijo la oficina del alguacil del condado de Palm Beach. “El presidente Trump está a salvo tras los disparos en sus inmediaciones”, dijo en un comunicado Steven Cheung, director de comunicación de la campaña de Trump.El Servicio Secreto abrió fuego contra quien estaba armado y consideraba una amenaza para el expresidente, dijo un funcionario informado del asunto. No estaba claro de inmediato si la persona recibió un disparo.Las fuerzas del orden recuperaron un rifle semiautomático del tipo AR-15 o AK-47 tras el incidente y están realizando un rastreo para determinar quién compró el arma y dónde se vendió, según dos funcionarios con conocimiento de la situación.We are having trouble retrieving the article content.Please enable JavaScript in your browser settings.Thank you for your patience while we verify access. If you are in Reader mode please exit and log into your Times account, or subscribe for all of The Times.Thank you for your patience while we verify access.Already a subscriber? Log in.Want all of The Times? Subscribe. More

  • in

    Mexico’s Contentious Judiciary Overhaul Becomes Law

    Going forward, Mexican voters will now elect judges at every level, dramatically restructuring the third branch of government.Mexico passed into law on Sunday a constitutional amendment remaking its entire judiciary, marking the most far-reaching overhaul of a country’s court system ever carried out by a major democracy.The results demonstrate the exceptional influence of President Andrés Manuel López Obrador of Mexico, who championed the legislation. The victory of his allies in June elections afforded them substantial legislative majorities to advance the contentious proposal in the leader’s final weeks in office. On the eve of Mexico’s Independence Day, the measure was published in the government’s official gazette, making it law.The law shifts the judiciary from an appointment-based system, largely grounded in training and qualifications, to one where voters elect judges and there are fewer requirements to run. That puts Mexico onto an untested course, the consequences of which are difficult to foresee.“Now it’s different,” Mr. López Obrador said in a video posted on social media on Sunday night in which his successor, Claudia Sheinbaum, was seated next to him. “Now it’s the people who rule, the people who decide.”Roughly 7,000 judges, from the chief justice of the Supreme Court down to those at local courts, will have to run for office under the new system. The changes will be put into effect gradually, with a large portion of the judiciary up for election in 2025 and the rest in 2027.The government said the overhaul was needed to modernize the courts and to instill trust in a system plagued by graft, influence peddling and nepotism. Ms. Sheinbaum, takes office on Oct. 1 and has fully backed the plan.We are having trouble retrieving the article content.Please enable JavaScript in your browser settings.Thank you for your patience while we verify access. If you are in Reader mode please exit and log into your Times account, or subscribe for all of The Times.Thank you for your patience while we verify access.Already a subscriber? Log in.Want all of The Times? Subscribe. More