More stories

  • in

    Britain Awards 10 Contracts for Offshore Wind Projects

    The successful outcome of the government auction for renewable energy projects may bolster a wind industry battered by rising costs.The British government on Tuesday awarded price support contracts for a series of offshore wind farms as part of a wider package for renewable energy, a reversal from a disappointing auction last year in which there were no takers for offshore wind projects.“The government has shown it takes renewable energy seriously,” Duncan Clark, the head of Britain and Ireland for the Danish wind developer Orsted, which received support for two projects in the auction, said in a statement.Overall the government awarded support for 131 renewable energy projects including onshore wind as well as solar and tidal power. RenewableUK, an industry group, estimates that the installations, if completed, could attract £14 billion, or about $18 billion, in investment and power nearly 11 million homes.The government of Prime Minister Keir Starmer is betting on offshore wind as “the backbone of the clean energy mission” to shift from oil and gas to renewable energy sources in a matter of years.The governing Labour Party realized that if it wanted to retain Britain’s leading position in offshore wind installation, it needed to substantially increase price supports to help developers tackle the estimated 40 percent increase in the costs of building these projects in recent years. Offshore wind is attractive in Britain because of abundant wind and large areas of shallow seabed off the coasts, especially in the North Sea. Investors are also attracted to the profits from these projects, which can cost billions of dollars.Stephen Bull, chief executive of Vargronn, which received support for a floating offshore wind farm off Scotland called Green Volt, said in an interview that the auction may not have reversed the impact of last year’s failure, but the results put Britain “on the right track.”We are having trouble retrieving the article content.Please enable JavaScript in your browser settings.Thank you for your patience while we verify access. If you are in Reader mode please exit and log into your Times account, or subscribe for all of The Times.Thank you for your patience while we verify access.Already a subscriber? Log in.Want all of The Times? Subscribe. More

  • in

    From School Librarian to Activist: ‘The Hate Level and the Vitriol Is Unreal’

    Amid a surge in book bans nationwide, the librarian Amanda Jones was targeted by vicious threats. So she decided to fight back.One Sunday morning two years ago, Amanda Jones, a middle school librarian in Watson, La., woke up and saw an email on her phone that left her shaking and breathless.The expletive-laced message from a stranger accused her of being a pedophile and a groomer, and concluded with a threat: “You can’t hide. We know where you work + live. You have a LARGE target on your back,” it said. “Click … Click … see you soon!”It was part of a deluge of online threats and harassment that Jones has faced since the summer of 2022, when she was one of around 20 people to speak out against book banning during a July meeting at her local public library.A fight broke out over whether the library should remove books with content that some deemed inappropriate for children. Like many librarians across the country, Jones found herself caught in a vicious battle over which books belong in libraries — a debate that has divided communities and school boards as book bans have surged in the United States.But the attacks on Jones have been particularly intense, and unrelenting, because of her response: She fought back.After commenters on social media accused her of seeking to sexualize children, Jones filed a defamation lawsuit against two men and the organization Citizens for a New Louisiana, a group that has pushed to have books that they consider erotic or sexual removed from the children’s section of libraries. She co-founded Louisiana Citizens Against Censorship, which lobbies against legislation that would place new restrictions on libraries. And she’s highlighting the threat of censorship and the pressure that librarians face in a memoir, “That Librarian,” which Bloomsbury published last month.We are having trouble retrieving the article content.Please enable JavaScript in your browser settings.Thank you for your patience while we verify access. If you are in Reader mode please exit and log into your Times account, or subscribe for all of The Times.Thank you for your patience while we verify access.Already a subscriber? Log in.Want all of The Times? Subscribe. More

  • in

    Russia’s Attack on Poltava Comes After a Week of Strikes in Ukraine

    The Russian missile strike that killed more than 40 people in the eastern city of Poltava on Tuesday comes after a difficult few days for Ukraine, in which Moscow appears to have stepped up the tempo of its attacks, resulting in a wave of death and destruction.At dawn on Aug. 26, residents of Ukraine’s capital, Kyiv, and many other cities woke to the sound of a Russian aerial assault. Moscow had launched more than 200 missiles and drones that hit targets in 15 regions of Ukraine. At least seven people were killed.President Volodymyr Zelensky of Ukraine said that it was one of the largest attacks since Russia’s full-scale invasion began 30 months ago. The strikes knocked out power in some cities, including the capital, continuing a pattern of attacks on the country’s energy infrastructure.Early the next morning, Russia launched another barrage, and one missile hit a hotel in the central Ukrainian city of Kryvyi Rih, killing four people. There was also a smaller round of strikes on Wednesday.Moscow, which has been conducting aerial assaults on Ukraine every few weeks, gave no reason for the timing of the strikes, but it came weeks after Ukraine launched a surprise incursion into the southern Russian region of Kursk. President Vladimir V. Putin of Russia had vowed a decisive response.Russia continued to pound urban areas close to the front lines throughout the week. On Wednesday, a Russian attack killed four members of a family in the tiny community of Izmailivka in the Donetsk region, the state prosecutor said. The settlement is a few miles west of Russian lines and close to the city of Pokrovsk, which Moscow is trying to capture.Most of the missiles and drones were shot down by Ukraine’s air defense systems, the Air Force said. F-16 fighter jets, recently delivered by the country’s allies in NATO, were deployed in that effort, intercepting and shooting down three cruise missiles and a drone.But on Thursday, the head of Ukraine’s air force, Lt. Gen. Mykola Oleshchuk, announced that one of the jets had crashed in combat during the operation on Monday and its pilot had been killed. He said that the crash, which came as a shock to many Ukrainians so soon after the deployment of the coveted fighter jets, was being investigated.The following day, Mr. Zelensky announced that Lt. Gen. Oleshchuk had been fired.Russian fire was also directed at Ukraine’s second largest city, Kharkiv, which is situated within range of Russian artillery and has been repeatedly assaulted since the start of the full scale war.On Friday, a Russian glide bomb hit a children’s park and a mid-rise apartment block in the city, killing seven people and wounding nearly 60 others, according to the head of the regional military administration, Oleh Syniehubov.Two days later, Russian forces bombarded residential areas of the city, wounding more than 40 civilians, Ukrainian officials said. At least 10 explosions had rocked the city. More

  • in

    Do You Have Healthy Brain Habits? Take This Quiz to Find Out.

    What can I do to take good care of my brain and lower my risk for a neurological disease? That’s the No. 1 question neurologist Dr. Jonathan Rosand hears from his patients (and their family members) at the Massachusetts General Hospital McCance Center for Brain Health. To help answer it, he and his colleagues, with […] More

  • in

    At Least 12 Die Trying to Cross English Channel, French Authorities Say

    The French maritime authorities said that 65 people were picked up from the sea after their vessel encountered unspecified difficulties.At least 12 people died after a boat carrying migrants capsized off the coast of northern France on Tuesday during an attempt to cross the English Channel, the French authorities said. It was the deadliest episode in the waterway this year as French and British governments struggle to prevent attempts at the perilous crossing.Gérald Darmanin, France’s interior minister, said on the social media platform X that the vessel sank off the coast of Wimereux, in an area of the Pas-de-Calais region where several similar tragedies have occurred this year. Two people were still missing and several others were injured, Mr. Darmanin said.“All government services are mobilized to find the missing and care for the victims,” he said.The French maritime authorities said in a statement that dozens of people fell into the sea after their vessel encountered unspecified difficulties on Tuesday morning off the coast of Cap Gris-Nez, which at some points is less than 30 miles from the British coastline.Rescue workers picked up 65 people out of the water, some of them in critical condition, and rescue operations involving helicopters and several ships are still continuing, the maritime authorities said in a statement.One of the worst migrant-related accidents in the Channel happened in 2021, when 27 people died after their boat capsized, but similar tragedies have repeatedly occurred on a smaller scale. Five people died at sea in January near Wimereux as well; five people died in similar circumstances around the same area in April.Last week, Prime Minister Keir Starmer of Britain and President Emmanuel Macron of France pledged to increase cooperation in the English Channel and to dismantle human smuggling networks, which the authorities on both sides of the waterway have blamed for the repeated deaths.“The leaders agreed to do more together to dismantle smuggling routes further upstream and increase intelligence sharing,” Mr. Starmer’s office said in a statement after the two leaders met in Paris.The Channel is one of the busiest shipping routes in the world. Its waters are especially icy in the winter, winds can be treacherous, and migrants trying to cross often crowd onto flimsy inflatable boats.“It’s a particularly dangerous sector even when the sea looks calm,” the maritime authorities said in their statement on Tuesday.Most of those who try to cross the Channel leave from the Pas-de-Calais. Many are from Afghanistan, Albania, Eritrea, Iraq, Iran, Sudan and Syria, according to the French authorities, and they cluster in makeshift camps on the coast of northern France before trying to cross.Many prefer risking the trip over staying in France because they see Britain as an attractive destination with a strong job market where English is spoken, or because they already have family there or people they know from their home country. More

  • in

    ‘The Notebook’ Will End Its Broadway Run in December. A Tour Is Next.

    The show, nominated for three Tony Awards, opened March 14 at the Gerald Schoenfeld Theater. It will go on a national tour starting next September.“The Notebook,” a musical adapted from the best-selling novel by Nicholas Sparks, will end its Broadway run on Dec. 15 after struggling to find sufficient ticket buyers during a competitive spring and summer.But this is not the end of the road for the musical. The producers, who announced the closing on Friday, said they plan a national tour of the show starting next September at Playhouse Square in Cleveland; some musicals, particularly those with well-known titles, fare better on tour than in New York.The musical, like the 1996 book and a 2004 film adaptation, is the story of a lifelong romance, told from the point of view of an older couple, one of whom has Alzheimer’s disease. Featuring songs by Ingrid Michaelson and a book by Bekah Brunstetter, “The Notebook” is directed by Michael Greif and Schele Williams.The show began previews Feb. 10 and opened March 14 at the Gerald Schoenfeld Theater. A pre-Broadway production at Chicago Shakespeare Theater had been well-received, but in New York, reviews were mixed; The New York Times’s chief theater critic, Jesse Green, called it “meretricious” (look it up: It’s not a compliment).Onstage, three pairs of actors play the lead characters at different stages of their lives; the musical is set in a coastal mid-Atlantic town in the 1960s, the 1970s and the present day. “The Notebook” was nominated for three Tony Awards but won none.It is the fourth musical to announce earlier-than-hoped-for closing dates since May, following “Lempicka,” “The Heart of Rock and Roll” and “The Who’s Tommy.” Broadway is always a difficult industry, and most shows fail financially, but the odds of success are particularly long now because production costs have risen, audience size has fallen, and there is a high volume of shows competing for attention. At the time of its closing, “The Notebook” will have played 35 previews and 317 regular performances.“The Notebook,” with Kevin McCollum and Kurt Deutsch as lead producers, was capitalized for up to $15 million, according to a filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission. That money has not been recouped. More

  • in

    Two U.S. Marines Attacked in Turkey by Nationalist Youth Group

    Turkish officials said they had detained 15 members of the group. The two servicemen had returned to the ship and were safe, U.S. officials said.The Turkish authorities said they had detained 15 members of a nationalist youth organization in connection with the assault of two U.S. Marines stationed in a port city in western Turkey on Monday.The marines, members of the 24th Marine Expeditionary Unit, were off their ship and wearing plain clothes at the time of the attack in Izmir, Turkey, Cmdr. Timothy Gorman, a spokesman for the U.S. Sixth Fleet, told CBS News. They were taken to a hospital for evaluation as a precaution, he said.The marines have since returned to the ship and are safe, officials said.“Local Izmir police and the Naval Criminal Investigative Service are cooperating in an investigation of the incident,” Commander Gorman told CBS. “No Marines have been detained by authorities and those involved are cooperating with investigators.”The Izmir governor’s office said in a statement on social media that members of the Turkish Youth Union were detained after the attack. The group is affiliated with the Patriotic Party, a nationalist group that does not hold any seats in Turkey’s Parliament, and has anti-American views, according to The Associated Press.The U.S. Embassy said in a statement on social media that the service members who had been assaulted were safe and aboard their amphibious assault ship, the U.S.S. Wasp. Video posted on social media and verified by the news agency Storyful appeared to show the attack on the Marines. The footage shows a group of young men crowding around a man, restraining him and attempting to put a sack over his head, while another man tries to intervene and push members of the group away.People could be heard chanting “Yankee go home” in English in the footage. In 2014, members of the nationalist youth group were arrested in connection with the assaults of three visiting American sailors in Istanbul. Members of the group used similar tactics at the time — a large group descending on a few servicemen on leave and pulling white sacks over their heads — and uttered similar chants, including “Yankee go home!” and “Down with U.S. imperialism!”The U.S.S. Wasp arrived in Izmir on Sunday for a regularly scheduled port visit after a joint training exercise with Turkey in the Mediterranean, according to the Department of Defense. The vessel was sent to the region as a part of broader plan by the U.S. Navy to deter further conflict in the Middle East. More

  • in

    NYT Crossword Answers for Sept. 3, 2024

    Alex Eaton-Salners crosses the floor.Jump to: Today’s Theme | Tricky CluesTUESDAY PUZZLE — Of the many desks that make up The New York Times, Games is one of the few that doesn’t cover politics in any form or fashion. In the ocean of political discourse, we aim to be an atoll of apoliticsm. A flotilla of frivolity. A lighthouse of levity. What was my point again?Ah, yes: Today’s crossword, constructed by Alex Eaton-Salners, represents a minor deviation from our usual escapism. Its theme hinges on [Political configurations] with present-day relevance, and I recognize that it may inspire conversation on the subject. I must ask, however, that you please keep any discussions in the comments to thoughts on the crossword puzzle — for congeniality’s sake, but also because our EMUs (electronic moderation units) tend to gobble up anything that veers off course.Today’s ThemeThe [Political configurations suggested by the answers (and their circled letters) at 17-, 24-, 50- and 61-Across] are TWO-PARTY SYSTEMS. This phrase refers to each of the cited entries, in which two kinds of parties are represented — one is in circled letters, and the other is the entry in full.For example, a [Brand of kitchen storage containers] is TUPPERWARE (17A), which made up the centerpiece of many a midcentury social affair. The circled letters in this entry spell TEA — another kind of party, political or otherwise. Farther down, the HALLOWEEN party at 50A is [When the skeletons in one’s closet might be brought out]. Circled letters give us the HEN party, another name for a bachelorette celebration that’s used primarily in the United Kingdom (I knew this only thanks to a recent marathon of a U.K.-based installment of “Love is Blind,” which I didn’t not spend several days watching last week.)Other entries name political parties outright, like SOCIALIST (24A) and FEDERALIST (61A). These feel less inspired to me than the parties I mentioned above, but with the colorful inclusion of CAST parties and FRAT parties, Mr. Eaton-Salners still has my vote.We are having trouble retrieving the article content.Please enable JavaScript in your browser settings.Thank you for your patience while we verify access. If you are in Reader mode please exit and log into your Times account, or subscribe for all of The Times.Thank you for your patience while we verify access.Already a subscriber? Log in.Want all of The Times? Subscribe. More