More stories

  • in

    Doctors condemn ‘shocking’ Sajid Javid for saying ministers do not need face coverings in cabinet

    The British Medical Association has blasted “shocking” irresponsibility by government ministers after health secretary Sajid Javid said there was no need for them to wear masks in cabinet.The head of the doctors’ organisation hit out after Mr Javid defended pictures of Tuesday’s cabinet meeting, at which not a single minister had his or her face covered.The health secretary said that their action was “perfectly consistent” with prime minister Boris Johnson’s advice that people should consider using face coverings when they are in crowded places with “strangers”.But BMA chair Chaand Nagpaul said that the health secretary and other ministers were showing a “shocking” lack of responsibility at a time when Covid-19 infections are running at an average of 35,000 a day.The winter plan for coronavirus unveiled by Mr Johnson on Tuesday puts the onus on individuals to show personal responsibility in taking the actions to damp down the outbreak, with mandatory face-masks kept as an option in reserve.Mr Javid himself forced Mr Johnson and chancellor Rishi Sunak into self-isolation earlier this year when he held a meeting with them in Downing Street unaware that he had been infected with the virus.But asked about this week’s maskless meeting, he told Sky News: “That is perfectly consistent with what the prime minister said yesterdayt, and what I said yesterday, because what we said is that people should consider wearing masks in crowded places when they are with strangers, when they are with people that they are not normally spending time with.”Dr Nagpaul said: “As the government’s own health advisers recognise, we are at a critical moment in the development of the pandemic.“For a government which has extolled the importance of personal responsibility to show so little personal responsibility themselves is quite shocking. Ministers should be leading by example.“Covid-19 is no less likely to pass between loved ones and friends than it is between strangers; it doesn’t discriminate. Evidence suggests that transmission within households has been a major feature of the pandemic.” And he added: “What is even worse is the dangerous message these comments and photographs send out to all of us as members of the public – a message that says the pandemic is over, life can go back to as it was before, and all will be well.“This is far from the truth and the evidence shows that in no uncertain terms.”The weekly average of over 35,000 new cases a day is 10 times higher than this time last year, while 1,000 Covid patients are on ventilators compared to 115 patients at the same time in 2020, said Dr Nagpaul.“We’re seeing deaths at a very high rate compared to this time last year, and we have over 8,000 people in hospital beds with Covid-19 – the highest since during the lockdown in spring,” he said.“The vaccination programme is making a huge difference, but it cannot work in isolation. Wearing face masks in enclosed crowded spaces together with adequate ventilation in shops, schools and offices are also important measures in the fight to overcome this virus.“The health secretary and ministers desperately need to recognise the reality of the virus and lead by example” More

  • in

    Liz Truss replaces Dominic Raab as foreign secretary in reshuffle

    Liz Truss has been appointed foreign secretary, replacing Dominic Raab in Boris Johnson’s cabinet reshuffle.The appointment was confirmed by Downing Street in a tweet shortly after Ms Truss was seen entering No 10.Her promotion came as it was announced that Michael Gove was being moved to the Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government, with a new cross-government responsibility for Mr Johnson’s “levelling up” agenda.Despite dramatically falling out with Mr Johnson after sabotaging his leadership bid in 2016, Mr Gove has become a powerful figure in his administration as Cabinet Office minister.His move to housing secretary will be seen by many in Westminster as a demotion, but supporters insisted the role has been beefed up by the fact that he takes with him from his previous job the responsibility for the Union and elections.Meanwhile, health minister Nadine Dorries joined the cabinet as culture secretary, replacing Oliver Dowden, who was appointed a Cabinet Office minister and Tory Party chair.And Anne-Marie Trevelyan succeeded Ms Truss as international trade secretary, regaining the seat at the cabinet table which she lost when her Department for International Development was merged with the Foreign Office.Despite being a forthright member of the Remain camp in the 2016 EU referendum, Ms Truss became a darling of the Tory grassroots for her efforts to forge new post-Brexit deals around the world as International Trade secretary.She becomes only the second woman to lead the Foreign Office, following Margaret Beckett in 2006/07.The South West Norfolk MP famously tweeted during the referendum campaign that ”Leave cannot name one country we would get a better trade deal with if we left the EU”.And the bulk of the deals which she has secured since Brexit have done no more than replicate terms which were already enjoyed by the UK as an EU member.Her biggest coup as trade secretary of reaching a deal with Australia eliminating tariffs on UK goods in June was soured after it emerged that Canberra had insisted on the removal of references to key climate pledges.Ms Truss retains her position as minister for women and equalities. More

  • in

    Dominic Raab demoted from foreign secretary but handed title of deputy prime minister

    Dominic Raab has been demoted from the post of foreign secretary – but handed the title of deputy prime minister, in an apparent consolation prize.He will become the justice Secretary, Lord Chancellor and deputy prime minister, in the first Cabinet appointment made by Boris Johnson.Mr Raab has been in the firing line since staying on holiday in Crete as Afghanistan fell to the Taliban and for criticism of his department’s handling of the crisis.Moments after his demotion was announced, the favourite to replace him – trade secretary Liz Truss – was seen walking into No 10 to meet the prime minister.Mr Raab, who previously held the title First Secretary of State, is believed to have fought hard for his new title in negotiations with Mr Johnson.The pair reconvened in Downing Street, after first meeting in the prime minister’s Commons office – where the sackings of three Cabinet ministers were carried out.Both the other two holders of the big offices of state – Chancellor Rishi Sunak and Priti Patel, the home secretary – are believed to be remaining in their posts.But Amanda Milling, the Conservative party’s co-chairman, has been removed, apparently paying the price for the shock Chesham and Amersham by-election defeat earlier this year.Mr Raab’s future was plunged into doubt when he failed to make a crucial call to help fleeing Afghan interpreters get out of the country while he was on holiday.The call was delegated to a junior minister, as the Taliban neared Kabul last month – as the foreign secretary reportedly declined to intervene personally from his Crete hotel.He was already under pressure for failing to return from the Greek island until the day after the Afghan capital crumbled, being seen on the beach on that fateful day. More

  • in

    Williamson is biggest cabinet casualty as Boris Johnson wields reshuffle axe

    Gavin Williamson was the biggest casualty of Boris Johnson’s reshuffle, in a major clear-out which also saw justice secretary Robert Buckland and housing secretary Robert Jenrick kicked out of the cabinet.Mr Williamson announced on Twitter that he was leaving the job of education secretary which he has held since 2019, with No 10 later confirming that he, Buckland and Jenrick were all returning to the backbenches. The long-expected sacking comes more than a year after the bungled GCSE and A-level exams that first triggered widespread calls for him to go.Mr Buckland’s removal created a vacancy for Dominic Raab, who was demoted to the Foreign Office with the consolation of the titles not only of justice secreatry but also Lord Chancellor and Deputy Prime Minister.There was speculation that Mr Raab’s vacated role as foreign secretary will be filled by Liz Truss, darling of the Tory grassroots for her efforts to seal post-Brexit trade deals. The international trade secretary was seen entering 10 Downing Street as Mr Johnson began the job of making appointments, after dealing with sackings in the relative privacy of his Commons office.Mr Jenrick, who survived the scandal of unlawfully approving a planning application in a way that favoured a major Tory donor – became the third reshuffle casualty.And Amanda Milling lost her job as Tory chair, following criticisms of her handling of the Chesham and Amersham byelection debacle, where Conservatives lost a rock-solid seat with a gigantic 25-point swing to Liberal Democrats.Ms Milling said: “It’s been a privilege and an honour to be the co-chairman of the Conservative Party. Thank you to the voluntary party and the team at CCHQ for their support. Thank you to Boiris Johnson for this opportunity. I will continue working to deliver on our plans to level up the UK.”Meanwhile, The Independent understands that the Cabinet Office minister Michael Gove is being offered Mr Jenrick’s job at the Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government.His daunting in-tray would include huge court backlogs, a shortage of criminal lawyers and a controversial review of the Human Rights Act.Mr Williamson tweeted: “It has been a privilege to serve as education secretary since 2019.“Despite the challenges of the global pandemic, I’m particularly proud of the transformational reforms I’ve led in post-16 education: in further education colleges, our skills agenda, apprenticeships and more… I look forward to continuing to support the prime minister and the government.”Labour deputy leader Angela Rayner welcomed his dismissal: “It’s good that Gavin Williamson has been sacked but he should have been sacked over a year ago. “That prat’s absolute idiocy, failures and uselessness have damaged the life chances of our country’s children and this government has failed young people, teachers and education staff.”Mr Buckland tweeted: “It has been an honour to serve in Government for the last 7 years, and as the Lord Chancellor for the last 2. I am deeply proud of everything I have achieved. On to the next adventure.”Harriet Harman, Labour’s former deputy leader, tweeted her thanks to Mr Buckland “for the important changes you made on domestic violence & sex violence against women”.And the chair of the Commons Justice Committee, Tory MP Sir Bob Neill, told Sky News his removal was “unjust, outrageous” and “he has been shabbily treated”. More

  • in

    Reshuffle in full: Who is out and who has been promoted?

    Boris Johnson has started his long-awaited Cabinet reshuffle. The Prime Minister plans to put in place a “strong and united” Cabinet following the tubulence caused by the coronavirus pandemic.A Downing Street source said: “The PM will be appointing ministers this afternoon with a focus on uniting and levelling up the whole country.”Gavin Williamson has been sacked as Education Secretary, a position he has held since 2019.Mr Williamson has faced regular criticism of his handling of how children would receive an education through the pandemic, which saw schools closed and the 2020 fiasco in the awarding of A-level and GCSE grades.Robert Buckland has lost his position as Justice Secretary and Lord Chancellor, positions he has held for seven years.After being sacked, he said it is “on to the next adventure”.Robert Jenrick has been sacked as Housing Secretary in his role at the head of the Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government, a role he was in for just over two years.He said it had been a “huge privilege”, saying he will “continue to support the Prime Minister and the Government in every way I can”.His sacking followed his department’s unlawful approval of Tory donor Richard Desmond’s housing development in east London, as well as the ongoing cladding scandal, Grenfell inquiry, and government’s attempts to have 300,000 new homes built a year.Amanda Milling loses her position as Conservative Party chair. The sacking comes weeks ahead of the Tory conference in October.ReshuffledDominic Raab has become Deputy Prime Minister, Lord Chancellor and Justice Secretary after being moved from foreign secretary.The demotion is believed to be the result of a lengthy meeting between Mr Raab and Mr Johnson over his handling of the evacuation of British citizens and Afghan allies from Afghanistan last month.Priti Patel remains in her position has Home Secretary. More

  • in

    Boris Johnson news – live: Raab becomes deputy PM as Williamson and Jenrick out in reshuffle

    Labour and Conservatives chant in ‘pantomime’ display during PMQsDominic Raab has been appointed deputy prime minister after being removed from his role as foreign secretary. Mr Raab has also become the justice secretary and Lord Chancellor in the first appointment of the prime minister’s cabinet shuffle.Earlier this afternoon, Gavin Williamson was removed as education secretary and Robert Jenrick was ousted as housing secretary.Downing street has confirmed that the government hopes to complete cabinet-level appointments today, with more junior posts to be announced in the coming days. A Downing Street source said: “The prime minister will today conduct a reshuffle to put in place a strong and united team to build back better from the pandemic.”Meanwhile, Boris Johnson has refused to explain how universal credit claimants would be able to recoup their looming £20-a-week cut in payments.The prime minister was challenged to set out how many hours of extra work will be needed – after a Cabinet minister wrongly claimed it is just two.But Mr Johnson declined to say whether the true figure is higher or lower.Show latest update

    1631717563Gove and Dowden enter Downing StreetCabinet office minister Michael Gove and culture secretary Oliver Dowden have both entered No 10 Downing Street. More

  • in

    Robert Jenrick sacked as housing secretary in Boris Johnson’s reshuffle

    Housing secretary Robert Jenrick has left the government as the latest casualty of Boris Johnson’s reshuffle.Mr Jenrick’s position has been precarious for some time since he was forced last year to admit that his decision to grant planning permission to a controversial development had been unlawful.And a centrepiece of his policy agenda was undermined at the weekend as it emerged his planning reforms were being rewritten to stave off a backbench Tory rebellion.Announcing his dismissal on Twitter, Mr Jenrick said: “It’s been a huge privilege to serve as Secretary of State at MHCLG (Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government).“Thank you to everyone at the department for their hard work, dedication and friendship. I’m deeply proud of all we achieved. I will continue to support the prime minister and the government in every way I can.”Mr Jenrick’s planning reforms aimed to deliver on a target of 300,000 new homes a year for England.But they provoked fury among Tory MPs who feared a backlash from voters in leafy southern towns, after the loss of Chesham and Amersham in a June by-election in which Liberal Democrats that green areas would be concreted over.In a major climbdown, it emerged last weekend that the government was preparing to drop plans for centrally-set mandatory building targets for councils and a zonal system under which all land would be classified for development or protection.The Newark MP, 39, was an early supporter of Mr Johnson as Tory leader, and was rewarded with a cabinet position as housing secretary in July 2019, having served as a junior minister in the Treasury under Theresa May.He blotted his copybook by unlawfully overruling a planning inspector to permit a development of private flats by Conservative donor Richard Desmond in a way which could have saved the developer as much as £50m.Mr Jenrick denied any wrongdoing, but faced embarrassment when it emerged that the former Northern & Shell publisher had lobbied him at a fundraising dinner and in text messages. More

  • in

    Why is Boris Johnson wearing a wheat sheaf on his lapel?

    Boris Johnson and Keir Starmer were among MPs seen sporting sheafs of wheat on their lapels as they faced off in the Commons at PMQs.Despite eliciting memories of Theresa May’s naughtiest admissions, the decorations were in fact in aid of Back British Farming Day, which falls on 15 September this year.Organised by the National Farmers’ Union for England and Wales (NFU), the event is aimed at celebrating the British farming sector and to encourage politicians to ensure it is prioritised during future trade deals.Wearing a sheaf of wheat on Wednesday, the prime minister rejected a plea to introduce emergency work visas after an MP said crops were “rotting” in his constituency due to labour shortages.“On this Back British Farming Day, we are in harvest time and all is not safely gathered in,” Tory MP Sir Roger Gale said“In three weeks, Thanet Earth in my constituency, one of the largest glasshouse companies in the country growing tomatoes, has had to trash £320,000 worth of produce because of no pickers and no drivers. Because of a lack of labour force, the crops are rotting in the fields and on our trees.Sir Roger added: “Will the prime minister seek to introduce immediately a Covid recovery visa, so that this year’s crops are not lost?”Boris Johnson said: “He is absolutely right in what he says about the importance of buying British and eating British. Our food is the best in the world.”The prime minister added: “He is right to address the problem in the supply chain that we are currently seeing but we are taking steps, and of course this has been a problem for a long time but what we have is the Seasonal Agricultural Workers scheme, which we will use to ensure that British farmers get the labour that they need.”Additional reporting by Press Association More