Brexit news – live: UK to ‘warn EU it may deviate from divorce deal’ over NI, as DUP says Protocol ‘failed’
Minister says taking the knee doesn’t ‘address’ racismThe UK government could this week warn EU leaders it will move away from terms agreed in the Brexit deal if more flexibility is not shown over the Northern Ireland Protocol, a report suggests.David Frost is reportedly set to announce a significant change to the Protocol, a source allegedly told Reuters, which could jeopardise the already strained relationship between the UK and the EU.The news agency said Britain’s chief Brexit negotiator is due to update Parliament in the next two days and will present a fresh paper on Brexit to lawmakers, in what could be a critical moment for the five-year divorce settlement. It comes after DUP leader Sir Jeffrey Donaldson said this morning it was time EU leaders admitted the Protocol “has failed” and is creating “very substantial trade problems”. Speaking after a virtual meeting with EU Commission vice president Maros Sefcovic, Sir Jeffrey told the BBC “both the UK government and the EU must now renegotiate”.Show latest update
1626705599Timeline: When PM was ‘pinged’ and when he left for ChequersBoris Johnson is currently isolating at Chequers until 26 July after he was identified as a close contact of health minister Sajid Javid, who was tested positive for Covid on Saturday morning.The PM was condemned for initially trying to take advantage of a pilot scheme which would allow him to avoid self-isolation – before a U-turn on Sunday saw him submit to the same rules as the rest of the public.Since then, Downing Street has gotten into quite a muddle over Mr Johnson’s movements in the past few days – sparking a series of awkward questions about who knew what when.So how did the confusion begin? When did Mr Johnson head up to Chequers? Adam Forrest takes a closer look.Sam Hancock19 July 2021 15:391626704986Frost refuses to give details on Protocol announcement Following my earlier post, David Forst said he was “constrained” in what he could say about a possible change to the Northern Ireland Protocol.It comes after a report by Reuters revealed Lord Frost would make an announcement on the Brexit deal to Parliament later this week.“I think what I can say at the moment is that it must work in a different way if we’re to find the stable route going forward,” he told a committee.“If the workings of the protocol are undermining the Belfast Good Friday Agreement, then the protocol isn’t doing its job. And one of the core elements of the Belfast agreement was that all the different strands, the three strands, had equal status, and at the moment, it feels as if the east-west elements of the protocol are not working as well as north-south, and clearly that imbalance is not what the Good Friday Agreement intended, so that’s the core of the problem.”Sam Hancock19 July 2021 15:291626704301Harri quits GB News after row overing taking the kneeGuto Harri has quit GB News after rowing with producers over him taking the knee during a debate on the racism directed towards England football players, according to the BBC. The journalist and former advisor to Boris Johnson decided to leave the channel after he was suspended following a viewer backlash over his actions.“GB News stands four square against racism in all its forms. We do not have a company line on taking the knee,” the broadcaster said in a statement. “Some of our guests have been in favour, some against. All are anti-racist. We have editorial standards that all GB News journalists uphold.”It continued: “On Tuesday a contributing presenter took the knee live on air and this was an unacceptable breach of our standards. We let both sides of the argument down by oversimplifying a very complex issue.”On Saturday it was announced that Nigel Farage would present a daily show on GB News. The former Ukip and Reform UK leader said he “will not be taking the knee for anyone on this show” in a video announcing the news.Sam Hancock19 July 2021 15:181626703364Women and children among migrants arriving on Dungeness BeachSome 50 people have arrived on a beach in Kent after crossing the English Channel in a single dinghy.Dozens of people, including women and young children, were seen arriving on Dungeness Beach at around 1pm on Monday. Some raised their hands in celebration as they stood on the beach, while others sat down on the shingle shoreline amid 24C sunshine.The large dinghy is believed to have left northern France or Belgium earlier on Monday before crossing the dangerous 21-mile Dover Strait. It came after 241 people arrived in the UK on Sunday on board eight boats.Border Force and Kent Police were in attendance at the scene as they awaited the arrivals on Monday afternoon. Among them were women and children, some too young to walk.More than 1,850 people have succeeded in reaching Britain on board small boats in July so far, according to data analysis by the PA news agency, more than the total for the whole of 2019. More
