More stories

  • in

    Asda boss urges Rachel Reeves to ‘stop taxing everything’

    Asda’s chairman has urged Rachel Reeves to stop “taxing everything in some way, shape or form”.Allan Leighton advised the chancellor to invest in Britain if she wants to grow the economy, not launch a new tax raid in her upcoming budget later this year.Ms Reeves is grappling with the various options at her disposal to fill a £50bn hole in the public finances, while she attempts to stay within her self-imposed fiscal rules.Among the policies believed to be under consideration by the chancellor, the most headline-grabbing is a so-called “mansion tax”, which would hit the owners of high-value properties with capital gains tax when they sell their homes.A likely move will also see the Treasury extend the freeze on income tax thresholds. This means that as wages rise with inflation, over the years workers are dragged into higher tax bands and end up paying more.Asda’s chairman has urged Rachel Reeves to stop ‘taxing everything in some way, shape or form’ More

  • in

    Nigel Farage’s mass deportation plans are ‘beneath us as a nation’, UK’s top bishop says

    Nigel Farage’s plans for the mass deportation of asylum seekers are “beneath us as a nation”, the UK’s top bishop has said.Archbishop of York Stephen Cottrell argued that the Reform UK leader’s radical proposals to “send them all back”, which would involve returning migrants to war, violence and persecution, go against “the British way”.He said it has been a longstanding tenet in the UK that “compassion and understanding” is what is provided to those in need, as he warned that this country “cannot simply close the door”.The archbishop’s remarks come days after Mr Farage said his party would remove 600,000 asylum seekers, including children, under the first parliament of a Reform government, should they win power.At a press conference in London on Tuesday, he also pledged to scale up detention capacity for asylum seekers to 24,000 and secure deals with countries such as Afghanistan, Eritrea and Iran to return migrants to their countries.Nigel Farage’s plans for the mass deportation of asylum seekers are ‘beneath us as a nation’, the UK’s top bishop has said More

  • in

    Chris Philp accused of courting Elon Musk over grooming gangs scandal social media post

    Chris Philphas been accused of courting Elon Musk after he responded to a social media post from the tech billionaire offering funding to bring private legal action relating to the grooming gangs scandal. The shadow home secretary replied to an X post in which Mr Muskannounced plans to “help fund legal actions against corrupt officials who aided and abetted the rape of Britain, per the official government inquiry”. He added: “Please reply below for consideration.”Responding, the shadow home secretary – who was a minister in the Home Office until last year – claimed to have “details of a senior police officer who deliberately covered up evidence of the rape and sexual assault of young girls by mainly Pakistani origin taxi drivers, with evidence of that”. Shadow home secretary Chris Philp More

  • in

    Elon Musk spreading ‘misinformation’ on Dundee girl weapon incident – Swinney

    Scotland’s First Minister has accused Elon Musk of spreading “misinformation” following an incident in Dundee where a girl was charged for alleged possession of offensive weapons.John Swinney said the world’s richest man was trying to “undermine” the social “cohesion” in Scottish communities, which he said was “totally and utterly unacceptable”.He condemned the “deliberate disinformation” he said was being used to “stoke up fear and alarm” around the country.Footage of a young girl apparently brandishing weapons has been widely shared on social media, with posts making claims about it gaining millions of views.Mr Musk – the billionaire owner of X, formerly Twitter – shared several posts on his site which made claims about the incident, including the migrant status of the people allegedly confronted.Far-right activist Tommy Robinson, who was previously sentenced for contempt of court, also shared posts making claims around the incident, some of which were shared by Mr Musk.The incident is understood to have taken place in St Ann Lane in the Lochee area of the city around 7.40pm on Saturday.Speaking to the PA news agency in Glasgow, Scotland’s First Minister said there was a limit to what he could say about the “misinformation” to avoid prejudicing the case.“But what is very important,” he said, “is that Police Scotland have issued a warning about deliberate misinformation that is being used to stoke up fear and alarm in our communities.“I am concerned about that and everybody should be concerned about that because we live in a fundamentally safer country today than we did 40 years ago.“That’s what all the recorded data told us earlier on this week – we’re living in a safer country than we did 40 years ago.“But people like Elon Musk, with the misinformation that has been stoked up about this case, are trying to undermine that sense of cohesion within our communities and it is totally and utterly unacceptable, and Police Scotland are absolutely right to call it out.”Chief superintendent Nicola Russell, who is responsible for Police Scotland’s Tayside division, issued a statement on Wednesday.She said: “We are aware of misinformation being shared on social media in relation to an incident where a Bulgarian couple were approached by youths in St Ann Lane, Dundee, on Saturday 23 August 2025.“A 12-year-old girl has been charged with being in possession of offensive weapons. She will be referred to the relevant authorities and our inquiries are ongoing.“We would like to thank the local community for their help with our investigation and would urge the public not to share misinformation about this incident or speculate on the circumstances.”Mr Musk has previously caught the ire of another first minister, with former SNP leader Humza Yousaf in January accusing him of trying to “inflame racial tensions”.The businessman, who was previously one of US President Donald Trump’s closest aids before a falling out, has consistently waded into Scottish and British politics and has clashed with Mr Yousaf on several occasions.The Tesla owner once branded Mr Yousaf “super racist” during one of their online arguments last year, daring the former first minister to sue him. More

  • in

    Carrie Johnson shares family photos of former PM Boris and children on holiday

    Carrie Johnson has shared a series of photos of her husband Boris Johnson and their four children enjoying a summer getaway in Greece. Pictures show the former prime minister playing with his daughter Romy, who was born in 2021, near the seaside. Captioned ‘Our favourite place’, other photos showed the mother-of-four tanning, eating out with friends and their three eldest children playing on the beach.Boris Johnson has been pictured playing with his daughter while on holiday in Greece More

  • in

    Once is unlucky, three times is a pattern: Departures from Starmer’s top team reflect dysfunction in No 10

    As the old saying goes: “Once is an accident; twice is unlucky; but three times is a pattern.”Nin Pandit, who was the principal private secretary in No 10 and ran the prime minister’s team, was not a household name by any means, but nevertheless she was an important cog in Sir Keir Starmer’s Downing Street operation.The departure happened while the prime minister was away on holiday in what might be a poor attempt at keeping his fingerprints off it, but her sudden departure has underlined a growing sense of dysfunction at the core of this Labour government.Prime Minister Sir Keir Starmer (Toby Melville/PA) More

  • in

    Reform council accused of ‘massive attack on local democracy’ after Nottingham Post ban

    Reform UK have been accused of a “massive attack on local democracy” after a local council leader banned his councillors from engaging with a leading local newspaper. Earlier this week, the Nottingham Post said they had been told by Nottinghamshire County Council’s Reform administration that it would no longer engage with them or the team of BBC-funded local democracy journalists that the paper manages.The move, which comes despite the party’s claim to defend free speech, has been met with outrage. The editor of the paper – which includes the Nottingham Post and its online edition Nottinghamshire Live – said it was a “worrying sign of potentially things to come if Reform wins the next election”. Nigel Farage has been urged to step in and urge Reform’s council leader Mick Barton to reverse the ‘dangerous and chilling’ decision More

  • in

    Starmer to replace third top aide in less than a year in latest Downing Street reset

    Sir Keir Starmer is replacing the top civil servant in his Downing Street office – the third senior staff member to leave their role in less than a year. Nin Pandit, who is the principal private secretary in No 10 and runs the PM’s team, has only been in the role for ten months. It is understood she will be leaving that role in September, and taking up a different position in the Downing Street operation. Her departure comes after chief of staff Sue Gray was forced out in October, while Matthew Doyle – the previous director of comms for Sir Keir – stood down in March. Ms Pandit’s departure has triggered speculation the PM is attempting to conduct another reset within Downing Street More