Asylum hotels latest: Number of migrants in hotels rises under Labour but deportations up by 25%
Chris Philp challenged over why he didn’t encourage councils to take legal action over asylum hotels when Tories were in powerThe number of asylum seekers being housed temporarily in UK hotels has risen by 8 per cent under Labour compared to the same point last year, Home Office data shows. However, figures from the last three months show that the figure has gone down very slightly from 32,345 in March this year, to 32,059 in June 2025. With numbers falling in recent months, government spending on asylum in the UK also stood at £4.76 billion in 2024/25, down 12 per cent from a record £5.38 billion in 2023/24.It comes as Labour-run councils are among those considering legal challenges against the use of hotels to house asylum seekers, as the government scrambles to draw up a contingency plan. Carol Dean, leader of Labour-controlled Tamworth Council, said her authority had previously decided against legal action but was now “carefully assessing” what the decision might mean for the area, adding it was a “potentially important legal precedent”.Conservative leader Kemi Badenoch has called on Tory local councils to take inspiration from the Epping legal ruling to launch challenges of their own. The opposition leader said Epping Forest District Council had achieved “a victory for local people”, while Reform UK leader Nigel Farage also called for his party’s councils to launch their own legal challenges. As Epping case could bring migrant hotel use to an end – where else can asylum seekers go?Epping Forest District Council won an interim injunction to stop asylum seekers being hosted at The Bell Hotel, saying it had become a “feeding ground for unrest.”The judgement requires all migrants currently housed in the hotel – around 140 men as of last month – to leave by 4pm on 12 September.Read the full article here:Holly Evans21 August 2025 15:36Labour MP condemns arson attack on building after speculation on social media Labour MP Oliver Ryan has condemned recent attacks on his constituents “for the colour of their skin” and an arson attack on a building that was falsely believed to be repurposed for asylum seekers. The Burnley MP said: “Last night in Gannow, a building 100 metres from Whittlefield Primary was set on fire after online speculation and a Reform councillor said it was being converted into a HMO site, implying completely falsely that this is being used to house illegal migrants. It isn’t even applying to be a HMO but supported social housing.”He continued: “I want to be clear despite Reform councillors praying for one and whipping up as much as they can, we don’t have any asylum hotels in the Burnley constituency. “What we do have however, quite shamefully, is families and individuals being attacked in our area. British families and British individuals for the colour of their skin. I’ve been contacted by many of them, windows being put in on houses where people are assuming asylum seekers live.”Holly Evans21 August 2025 15:14What the UK’s migration numbers really showIt follows a High Court ruling on Tuesday that banned the use of The Bell Hotel in Epping, Essex, for asylum seekers after lawyers argued it had become a “feeding ground for unrest” following a string of violent protests at the site.As Labour braces for a fresh round of legal action from revolting councils seeking similar bans in their areas, new Home Office figures reveal that the number of people claiming asylum in the past year soared to a record 111,000, while small boats continue to cross the Channel at increasing rates.Read the full analysis from our data correspondent Alicja Hagopian here: Holly Evans21 August 2025 14:47Asylum seekers have right to privacy in their homes, council saysAsylum seekers have a human right to privacy in their homes, the City of York council has said as right-wing politicians call for protests outside of migrant hotels.Reform MP Richard Tice yesterday urged local residents to protest outside asylum hotels. Now Labour-led City of York council have said that allocation of asylum accommodation is up to central government, adding: “Asylum seekers also have a human right to privacy in their home and we wouldn’t release details relating to this, including whether any hotels are being used in our area.“We are not progressing with any legal action relating to hotel accommodation.” Holly Bancroft21 August 2025 14:30 What options does the Home Office have now?Last month, amid protests outside the Bell Hotel and more migrants crossing the Channel, an extra 400 spaces were being prepared to house male asylum seekers at RAF Wethersfield in Essex.The former military site, which has a usual capacity of 800 beds, is expected to house more adult men on a short-term basis.The Labour Government scrapped the large site of the Bibby Stockholm barge in Portland, Dorset, earlier this year, while Napier Barracks in Folkestone, Kent, is also due to end housing asylum seekers and be returned to the Ministry of Defence in September.Holly Evans21 August 2025 14:23Why are asylum seekers being housed in hotels?Asylum seekers and their families can be housed in temporary accommodation, known as contingency accommodation, if they are awaiting assessment of their claim or have had a claim approved and there is not enough longer-term accommodation available.The Home Office provides accommodation to asylum seekers who have no other way of supporting themselves on a “no choice” basis, so they cannot choose where they live.When there is not enough housing, the Home Office can move people to accommodation such as hotels and large sites, like former military bases.In May, the National Audit Office said those temporarily living in hotels accounted for 35 per cent of all people in asylum accommodation.Men pictured walking into The Bell Hotel, which has been housing asylum seekers More