More stories

  • in

    Should school truancy fines be increased or scrapped? Join The Independent Debate

    Get the free Morning Headlines email for news from our reporters across the worldSign up to our free Morning Headlines emailParents have been warned of new rules for taking their children out of school, with higher fines set to be introduced for those who don’t seek permission.The controversial move follows a drop in attendance after the pandemic and a rise in homeschooling.School absence fines currently start at £60, rising to £120 if they are not paid within 21 days. But the DfE has said fines will now start at £80, rising to £160.Data reveals that nearly 90% of fines were for unauthorised holidays, often booked outside school terms for financial reasons.While Education Secretary Gillian Keegan has emphasised the importance of attendance, critics argue that fines may not be the most effective tool. They call for targeted resources to address the root causes of poor attendance, including support for vulnerable families and children’s mental health.We want to know if you think these steeper penalties will fix widespread truancy issues, or will they simply punish parents who are already trying their best to get their children to school?And even if you don’t struggle the peel your child from their bed in the morning, with the cost of going away rocketing during school holidays, many parents are understandably tempted to take their children abroad in term time to save pennies and allow their family to experience the wonders of travel.If you want to share your opinion then add it in the comments and we’ll highlight the most insightful ones as they come in.All you have to do is sign up and register your details – then you can then take part in the discussion. You can also sign up by clicking ‘log in’ on the top right-hand corner of the screen.Make sure you adhere to our community guidelines, which can be found here. For a full guide on how to comment click here.Join the conversation with other Independent readers below or by clicking here. More

  • in

    What could be announced in Jeremy Hunt’s Budget?

    Speculation continues to mount as the chancellor prepares to deliver what is likely to be the last Budget before the general election on Wednesday 6 March.Most of that speculation has so far focused on tax cuts, although both Jeremy Hunt and Rishi Sunak have been less keen to talk up the prospect of further tax reductions after official forecasts were reported to have reduced the amount of “headroom” available to meet their fiscal rules.The main question has been whether Mr Hunt will cut income tax or repeat the national insurance cut he introduced in last year’s autumn statement, with either offering a pre-election giveaway to voters. More

  • in

    Jeremy Hunt could raise business class air fares to fund Budget tax cuts

    Sign up for the View from Westminster email for expert analysis straight to your inboxGet our free View from Westminster emailJeremy Hunt could raise revenue on air passenger duty in order to fund tax cuts in this week’s Budget.The chancellor is considering a number of options that would allow him to commit to billions of pounds of personal tax cuts after recent forecasts from the Office for Budget Responsibility (OBR) gave the chancellor less fiscal headroom than previously thought.On the list of options is an increase in air passenger duty of business travel, which would amount to a rise in business class air fares.He is also said to be considering a tax on vapes, an extension of the windfall levy on oil and gas producers, abolishing the non-dom tax loophole and abandoning perks for second homeowners who make money from holiday lets.Follow our live Budget coverage here Mr Hunt is paving the way for a mass tax giveaway in Wednesday’s pre-election Budget, with speculation around cuts to income tax or national insurance. The chancellor will unveil his spring budget on Wednesday The Treasury is said to be considering cutting 1p or 2p from national insurance or income tax. Mr Hunt told Sky News that his last cut of national insurance in the autumn statement in November was a “turning point” and he hopes “to make some progress on that journey”.The chancellor is also planning to use the Budget to insist he can make public services more efficient, having announced plans to make the civil service more productive through the use of AI and better data.Mr Hunt is widely understood to be pursuing tax cuts in the hope of drumming up support for the government, despite recent polling showing that the public do not want to see tax cuts at the expense of public spending.In a survey by the Fairness Foundation, 64 per cent of voters support keeping taxes as they are or increasing them, while just 16 per cent say they want tax cuts if it means cutting public services.Jeremy Hunt hinted that he would be looking to cut taxes but insisted it would be in a ‘responsible’ wayOn Sunday, Mr Hunt said he had a “moral duty” to put more money back in workers’ pockets, but insisted any tax giveaways would be “responsible”.Mr Hunt told Sky News: “It’s going to be a prudent and responsible budget for long-term growth.” Conservative MP Sir John Redwood told TheSunday Telegraph that tax cuts should not be paid for with tax rises and that he “would strongly recommend that they forget all these new taxes and extra taxes and get on with the real job which is lower taxes”.Mr Hunt’s spokesperson declined to comment. More

  • in

    Spring Budget 2024: Ask John Rentoul what it will mean for your money and the future of the Tories

    Sign up for the View from Westminster email for expert analysis straight to your inboxGet our free View from Westminster emailAll eyes are on Jeremy Hunt this week as the chancellor is set to announce his latest spring Budget.Many will be wondering what to expect, how Mr Hunt’s statement will impact their finances, and what it signals it sends about the Tory party ahead of a looming general election.Measures including further tax cuts and public spending reductions are widely expected to be revealed on Wednesday (6 March), with senior Tories hinting that the chancellor could give the green light to either national insurance or income tax, to try and woo voters back.Asked if such cuts could come at the expense of cutting public services, the chancellor pointed to his record of championing extra investment in the NHS while he was health secretary.Another scheme Mr Hunt is reportedly looking at is a “vaping products levy” which would be imposed on imports and manufacturers of vapes to try and make them unaffordable to children.So, how will the proposals in the spring statement affect your bank balance, wage slip and disposable income – if at all? And when will any changes come into force?What will Wednesday’s announcement reveal about Mr Sunak’s plans for the Tory party – and do national insurance cuts make things harder for Labour? Will the spring statement be the last gasp of a dying government or a clever play to win back voters after a long stretch of political turmoil?If you have a question on the spring Budget, submit it now, or when I join you live at 3pm on Wednesday 6 March for the “Ask Me Anything” event.Register to submit your question in the comments box under this article. If you’re not already a member, click “sign up” in the comments section to leave your question. For a full guide on how to comment click here.Don’t worry if you can’t see your question – they may be hidden until I join the conversation to answer them. Then join us live on this page at 3pm as I tackle as many questions as I can. More

  • in

    Watch moment George Galloway sworn in as new Rochdale MP in Parliament

    George Galloway has been sworn in as the new Rochdale MP in the House of Commons.The Workers Party of Britain leader took an oath of allegiance before signing the Test Roll in parliament on Monday (4 March). Mr Galloway was escorted by the Alba Party’s Neale Hanvey and the Father of the House Peter Bottomley.Mr Galloway was announced as the winner of the Rochdale by-election in the early hours of Friday (1 March), with the Workers Party of Britain leader receiving just under 40 percent of the vote. More

  • in

    Martin Lewis explains what you can expect from spring Budget

    Martin Lewis has explained what people can expect from the chancellor’s much-anticipated spring Budget.Jeremy Hunt is likely expected to cut National Insurance contributions, over income tax in the Budget on Wednesday (4 March).The Money Saving Expert founder has now revealed what a cut would mean for people’s pay packets.Speaking on This Morning on Monday (2 March), Mr Lewis said: For a two percent cut for each £10,000 you earn over £12,500, you will be £200 a year better off.” More

  • in

    Tory MP Paul Scully resigns after warning of ‘no-go areas’ in London and Birmingham

    Sign up for the View from Westminster email for expert analysis straight to your inboxGet our free View from Westminster emailTory MP Paul Scully has announced he is stepping down at the next general election after comments he made about “no go” areas in London and Birmingham were met with uproar.Mr Scully evoked ire after he said that parts of Tower Hamlets and Birmingham Sparkhill were “no go areas” due to people “abusing” their own religion.The former minister has now announced his resignation. Posting on social media site X, Mr Scully said:“I have told my local association that I won’t be contesting the next General Election. Over the last nine years it’s been a privilege to represent in Parliament, the area which I called home for 35 years”He added: “Fuelled by division, the party has lost its way and needs to get a clear focus which I hope the budget can start to provide. It needs a vision beyond crisis management which can appeal to a wider section of the electorate including younger people…”Mr Scully came under fire for comments made during a BBC London interview last week where he suggested that “parts of” Tower Hamlets and Birmingham Sparkhill are “no-go areas mainly because of doctrine and mainly because people are sort of abusing in many ways their religion”.His comments received criticism from both Labour and the Tories, as Conservative mayor Andy Street said “it really is time for those in Westminster to stop the nonsense slurs and experience the real world. I for one am proud to lead the most diverse place in Britain.” Labour MP Jess Phillips added: “As one of the MPs for Sparkhill I am expecting an apology for this utter drivel.” Mr Scully made his comments following the suspension of former deputy-chairman Lee Anderson from the Conservative party after he refused to apologise for claiming “Islamists” had achieved “control” over London. Mr Scully said Mr Anderson was “trying to reflect” concerns about their neighbourhoods changing “in a really clumsy way”.Both Sparkhill and Tower Hamlets have large Muslim populations. Ali Milani, chairman of the Labour Muslim Network, told BBC London that Scully was perpetuating an “Islamophobic myth that has been continuously perpetuated.” More

  • in

    George Galloway makes dig at MPs as he returns to Commons

    George Galloway took a dig at politicians as he arrived at Parliament to be sworn in as the new MP for Rochdale on Monday (4 March).Mr Galloway was announced as the winner of the Rochdale by-election in the early hours of Friday (1 March), with the Workers Party of Britain leader receiving just under 40 percent of the vote.Mr Galloway arrived at Parliament in a dark Volvo driven by an aide on Monday morning, as he was greeted by photographers and camera crews.He said: “I always loved the building – the people in it, not quite so much.”Mr Galloway will meet Speaker Sir Lindsay Hoyle ahead of his introduction. More