More stories

  • in

    California’s Push for Electric Trucks Sputters Under Trump

    The state will no longer require some truckers to shift away from diesel semis but hopes that subsidies can keep dreams of pollution-free big rigs alive.President Trump’s policies could threaten many big green energy projects in the coming years, but his election has already dealt a big blow to an ambitious California effort to replace thousands of diesel-fueled trucks with battery-powered semis.The California plan, which has been closely watched by other states and countries, was meant to take a big leap forward last year, with a requirement that some of the more than 30,000 trucks that move cargo in and out of ports start using semis that don’t emit carbon dioxide.But after Mr. Trump was elected, California regulators withdrew their plan, which required a federal waiver that the new administration, which is closely aligned with the oil industry, would most likely have rejected. That leaves the state unable to force trucking businesses to clean up their fleets. It was a big setback for the state, which has long been allowed to have tailpipe emission rules that are stricter than federal standards because of California’s infamous smog.Some transportation experts said that even before Mr. Trump’s election, California’s effort had problems. The batteries that power electric trucks are too expensive. They take too long to charge. And there aren’t enough places to plug the trucks in.“It was excessively ambitious,” said Daniel Sperling, a professor at the University of California, Davis, who specializes in sustainable transportation, referring to the program that made truckers buy green rigs.California officials insist that their effort is not doomed and say they will keep it alive with other rules and by providing truckers incentives to go electric.We are having trouble retrieving the article content.Please enable JavaScript in your browser settings.Thank you for your patience while we verify access. If you are in Reader mode please exit and log into your Times account, or subscribe for all of The Times.Thank you for your patience while we verify access.Already a subscriber? Log in.Want all of The Times? Subscribe. More

  • in

    Russia Launches Missile Attack on Ukraine’s Energy Infrastructure

    Military analysts had speculated that Moscow could escalate such attacks as a show of force after the fall of President Bashar al-Assad of Syria, its ally.Russia launched a missile attack on Ukraine’s energy infrastructure early Friday, in an assault that President Volodymyr Zelensky described as “one of the largest strikes” on his country’s power facilities.The attack consisted of 93 missiles and 200 drones, Mr. Zelensky said on social media, “including at least one North Korean missile.”Ukraine’s energy minister, Herman Halushchenko, said on Facebook, “Once again, the energy sector across Ukraine is under massive attack.”Of the 81 missiles that Ukraine managed to shoot down, 11 were intercepted by F16 fighter jets provided by allies, Mr. Zelensky said. He once again urged Ukraine’s partners to respond, saying, “The world can stop this madness.”The International Atomic Energy Agency had made a renewed call on Thursday for Russia to stop targeting Ukraine’s energy infrastructure: The agency’s board of governors signed a resolution addressing the threats that the attacks pose to nuclear safety.“The international community must increase pressure on Russia for its deliberate attempts to create a radiation disaster on the continent,” the resolution said.The agency said after Friday’s attack that five of Ukraine’s nine operating nuclear reactors had to reduce their power output because of Russia’s “renewed attacks on energy infrastructure.”The first reports of damage after the assault came from western Ukraine. The Lviv and Ternopil regions reported power outages, and Svitlana Onyshchuk, the head of the Ivano-Frankivsk military administration, said on social media that her region had experienced “the most massive attack since the start of the full-scale war.”Russia launches exploding drones at Ukraine nightly. The larger waves, which combine various types of missiles along with the drones, have come every few weeks and are typically aimed at electrical infrastructure such as power plants, in a long-running campaign to black out the country.Military analysts had speculated this week that President Vladimir V. Putin of Russia could try to escalate these attacks as a show of force after the fall of President Bashar al-Assad of Syria, Russia’s ally.Some analysts have said, however, that Russia is at the limits of its capacity for launching missiles, having depleted its stockpiles and firing as many missiles as its industry can produce.On Wednesday, Sabrina Singh, a Pentagon spokeswoman, said it was possible that Russia could fire another of a new type of intermediate-range ballistic missile, the Oreshnik, in the coming days. Russia fired an Oreshnik missile at a rocket factory in Dnipro in November after Ukraine began using American-provided missiles to hit targets in Russia.Anastasia Kuznietsova More

  • in

    Bribery Charges Against Gautam Adani Strike at Heart of Modi’s India

    The U.S. indictment names Gautam Adani, one of India’s richest businessmen, but it points to an even bigger target: how business is done there.Gautam Adani is no ordinary Indian billionaire. Over the past 10 years, he has become in effect an extension of India’s government. His conglomerate, Adani Group, builds and buys ports, factories and power plants, often under state contract or license. It operates airports. It even owns a TV news channel.Mr. Adani’s business empire has become central to India during the rise of Narendra Modi, first elected as prime minister in 2014.As Mr. Modi brought India to the center of the world stage, he brought Mr. Adani in tow. Today, Mr. Adani’s flagship company is worth about 10 times more than it was at the start of the Covid-19 pandemic.On Wednesday, the U.S. government charged Mr. Adani, one of the world’s richest people, with multiple counts of fraud. Federal prosecutors accused him and his associates of offering $265 million to Indian officials and lying about the bribery scheme to Wall Street investors when raising money for a massive renewable energy project.The Adani Group denied prosecutors’ claims, calling the allegations “baseless.” A spokesman said the company wanted to “assure our stakeholders, partners and employees that we are a law-abiding organization, fully compliant with all laws.”Solar panels being installed at a renewable energy park owned by the Adani Group in Khavda, India. Punit Paranjpe/Agence France-Presse — Getty Images

    .dw-chart-subhed {
    line-height: 1;
    margin-bottom: 6px;
    font-family: nyt-franklin;
    color: #121212;
    font-size: 15px;
    font-weight: 700;
    }

    Adani Enterprises share price
    Source: FactSetBy The New York TimesWe are having trouble retrieving the article content.Please enable JavaScript in your browser settings.Thank you for your patience while we verify access. If you are in Reader mode please exit and log into your Times account, or subscribe for all of The Times.Thank you for your patience while we verify access.Already a subscriber? Log in.Want all of The Times? Subscribe. More

  • in

    Will NYC Revive Congestion Pricing After Trump’s Victory?

    Gov. Kathy Hochul, facing pressure from supporters of the contentious tolling plan, is said to be exploring options for adopting it in some form.Gov. Kathy Hochul of New York is exploring options for reviving a congestion pricing plan for New York City before President-elect Donald J. Trump has a chance to kill it, according to four people familiar with the matter.Ms. Hochul’s move to salvage the contentious plan comes as she faces pressure from various corners, including a group that represents transit riders and is planning to start an advertising blitz on Monday in support of the tolling program.The plan that Ms. Hochul, a Democrat, is now exploring differs slightly from the one she halted in June. She is trying to satisfy opponents who had complained about the $15 congestion-pricing toll that most motorists would have had to pay as well as supporters who want to reduce car traffic and fund mass transit improvements.The governor has talked to federal officials about the possibility of a $9 toll and about whether such a change might require the lengthy, involved process of additional environmental review, according to a Metropolitan Transportation Authority board member familiar with the matter. The discussions were first reported by Politico.Mr. Trump, a Republican, has said he opposes congestion pricing, and his victory on Tuesday has apparently pushed Ms. Hochul to try to find a compromise.“The timing is everything,” said Danny Pearlstein, a spokesman for Riders Alliance, the riders’ group that is planning the ad blitz. If congestion pricing has not started by January, he added “it’s very unlikely it would start.”We are having trouble retrieving the article content.Please enable JavaScript in your browser settings.Thank you for your patience while we verify access. If you are in Reader mode please exit and log into your Times account, or subscribe for all of The Times.Thank you for your patience while we verify access.Already a subscriber? Log in.Want all of The Times? Subscribe. More

  • in

    Dock Collapse in Georgia Strikes Sapelo Island Community Fighting for Its Culture

    The deaths of seven people on Sapelo Island have brought to the fore longstanding frustrations among its Gullah Geechee community.The dozens of descendants of enslaved people who form the backbone of the Gullah Geechee community on Sapelo Island, off the coast of Georgia, have fought for years to protect their homes and traditions from the erosion of time and development.The deadly collapse on Saturday of a dockside gangway not only jolted the community into a deep grief but also brought to the fore longstanding frustrations over the treatment of residents and the state of the island’s infrastructure. Seven people were killed as they waited for a ferry back to the mainland after taking part in an annual cultural celebration on the island.“We are on Sapelo fighting for our survival,” said Reginald Hall, 59, who was among a group of residents who confronted officials during a weekend news conference to demand answers on the collapse of the dock.On Monday, state officials said they had removed the gangway as part of an investigation into its “catastrophic structural failure,” but they provided no new details on the cause of the collapse.Some residents questioned whether Georgia officials, who have responsibility for most of the island, had taken adequate precautions to prepare the dock for the influx of hundreds of visitors for the festivities. Officials said they had established additional ferry runs but did not rule out the possibility that the increased traffic contributed to the collapse.The collapse of the gangway set off a frenetic rescue effort.Lewis M. Levine/Associated PressWe are having trouble retrieving the article content.Please enable JavaScript in your browser settings.Thank you for your patience while we verify access. If you are in Reader mode please exit and log into your Times account, or subscribe for all of The Times.Thank you for your patience while we verify access.Already a subscriber? Log in.Want all of The Times? Subscribe. More

  • in

    China Woos Africa, Casting Itself as Global South’s Defender

    More than 50 African leaders have gathered in Beijing for a summit aimed at projecting the influence of China’s leader, Xi Jinping, in the developing world.African flags have been flown over Tiananmen Square. Leaders of African nations have been greeted by dancers, honor guards and children waving flags. They have been escorted in extensive motorcades past banners celebrating “A Shared Future for China and Africa” and giant, elaborate flower arrangements.China has pulled out all the stops for a gathering of leaders and top officials from more than 50 African nations this week in Beijing, welcoming them with pomp and pageantry. “After nearly 70 years of hard work, China-Africa relations are at the best period in history,” China’s leader, Xi Jinping, told the gathering on Thursday. Mr. Xi has cast his country as a defender of the developing world, one that can push the West to listen to the voices of poorer countries. He hosted a banquet for the leaders at the start of the event on Wednesday, after three straight days of back-to-back bilateral talks with nearly two dozen leaders of nations ranging from impoverished Chad to the continental economic powerhouse of Nigeria. The three-day forum is meant to demonstrate Beijing’s global clout despite rising tensions with the West. Mr. Xi’s courtship of African countries is part of a great geopolitical competition with the United States that has intensified in recent years over Russia’s war in Ukraine and China’s aggressive posture toward Taiwan.China is “trying to take advantage of the space left by the U.S. and Europe, which are increasingly disengaged with Africa,” said Eric Olander, the editor in chief of the China-Global South Project website. “China sees an opportunity to really step up its engagement, and not necessarily just with money.”We are having trouble retrieving the article content.Please enable JavaScript in your browser settings.Thank you for your patience while we verify access. If you are in Reader mode please exit and log into your Times account, or subscribe for all of The Times.Thank you for your patience while we verify access.Already a subscriber? Log in.Want all of The Times? Subscribe. More

  • in

    Climate Change Can Cause Bridges to ‘Fall Apart Like Tinkertoys,’ Experts Say

    Extreme heat and flooding are accelerating the deterioration of bridges, engineers say, posting a quiet but growing threat.On a 95-degree day this summer, New York City’s Third Avenue Bridge, connecting the Bronx and Manhattan, got stuck in the open position for hours. As heat and flooding scorched and scoured the Midwest, a steel railroad bridge connecting Iowa with South Dakota collapsed under surging waters. In Lewiston, Maine, a bridge closed after the pavement buckled from fluctuating temperatures.America’s bridges, a quarter of which were built before 1960, were already in need of repair. But now, extreme heat and increased flooding linked to climate change are accelerating the disintegration of the nation’s bridges, engineers say, essentially causing them to age prematurely.The result is a quiet but growing threat to the safe movement of people and goods around the country, and another example of how climate change is reshaping daily life in ways Americans may not realize.“We have a bridge crisis that is specifically tied to extreme weather events,” said Paul Chinowsky, a professor of civil engineering at the University of Colorado Boulder who researches the effects of climate change on infrastructure. “These are not things that would happen under normal climate circumstances. These are not things that we’ve ever seen at this rate.”Bridges designed and built decades ago with materials not intended to withstand sharp temperature swings are now rapidly swelling and contracting, leaving them weakened.“It’s getting so hot that the pieces that hold the concrete and steel, those bridges can literally fall apart like Tinkertoys,” Dr. Chinowsky said.We are having trouble retrieving the article content.Please enable JavaScript in your browser settings.Thank you for your patience while we verify access. If you are in Reader mode please exit and log into your Times account, or subscribe for all of The Times.Thank you for your patience while we verify access.Already a subscriber? Log in.Want all of The Times? Subscribe. More

  • in

    Dozens Dead or Missing After China Highway Collapse

    It was the second such rain-related disaster in less than three months, as extreme weather challenges the country’s extensive network of newly built expressways.At least a dozen people were killed and many more remained missing on Saturday after part of a highway bridge collapsed Friday night amid heavy rain in western China. It was the second deadly episode in the country in less than three months involving the failure of a stretch of highway.State media reported early Saturday afternoon that 12 bodies and seven vehicles had been found, and that one person had been rescued. Eighteen vehicles and 31 people were still missing.A photograph released by the official Xinhua news agency on Saturday showed how a bridge in one direction of the highway had snapped. A section of it was folded downward, nearly perpendicular, into a churning, muddy river. A separate bridge that supported traffic in the other direction remained standing.The head of the Ministry of Emergency Management, Wang Xiangxi, went to the site Saturday morning and was overseeing a rescue effort that involved 869 people, 93 vehicles, 41 drones, 20 boats and a sonar system, according to the authorities.Both Xi Jinping, China’s top leader, and Premier Li Qiang, the country’s second-highest leader, ordered all-out rescue efforts.They had issued similar instructions after the previous disaster, which occurred on May 1 also amid heavy rain. At least 48 people died after a section of expressway running along the side of a hill in southeastern China gave way, apparently because a landslide began underneath it. Mr. Xi had ordered that local governments across China pay more attention to identifying and dealing with such risks.We are having trouble retrieving the article content.Please enable JavaScript in your browser settings.Thank you for your patience while we verify access. If you are in Reader mode please exit and log into your Times account, or subscribe for all of The Times.Thank you for your patience while we verify access.Already a subscriber? Log in.Want all of The Times? Subscribe. More