More stories

  • in

    Government ends contract worth billions with one of largest providers of asylum seeker hotels

    The government is ending a contract worth billions of pounds a year with one of the largest providers of accommodation for asylum seekers.Stay Belvedere Hotels (SBHL) houses people waiting for asylum decisions in 51 hotels in England and Wales, as well as the Napier Barracks in Folkestone, Kent, which is due to close and be returned to the Ministry of Defence in September.The Home Office confirmed the cancellation of the contract, which is worth around £2billion per year, after a review raised concerns about the company’s performance and behaviour.In a statement issued on Tuesday, it said the contract, which was awarded in 2019, will end at the earliest opportunity in September 2026 after the review of all contracts to provide asylum accommodation.Minister for border security and asylum Angela Eagle said: “Since July, we have improved contract management and added more oversight of our suppliers of asylum accommodation.Stay Belvedere Hotels (SBHL) houses people waiting for asylum decisions in the Napier Barracks in Folkestone, Kent, which is due to close and be returned to the Ministry of Defence in September More

  • in

    Reeves offers £2bn affordable housing boost ahead of sweeping cuts to public services

    Thousands of new homes in England will be built as part of the biggest boost in social and affordable housebuilding in a generation, the government has said.Chancellor Rachel Reeves vowed the £2 billion in grant funding to deliver up to 18,000 new homes in England will go some way to “fixing the housing crisis”.The funding is described by the government as a “down payment from the Treasury” ahead of longer-term investment in social and affordable housing expected to be announced later in the year.The government expects at least half of the 18,000 would be social homes, as charities urged that the “vast majority” should be for social rent amid record highs in homelessness across the country.The announcement on Tuesday comes a day ahead of the spring statement, in which the Chancellor is expected to announce spending cuts for some government departments, having already unveiled cuts to welfare – which have proved unpopular with Labour backbenchers – and amid reports the digital services tax – a levy on big tech companies – could be slashed in order to stave off American tariffs.The housebuilding boost is aimed at helping to fulfil the government’s pledge to build 1.5 million new homes over the next five years.Last year, experts at the New Economics Foundation said 90,000 social homes would need to be built by as early as 2027/28 to meet the Government’s target and that by the final year of this parliament, ministers would “need to go beyond this and deliver 110,000 new social homes to ensure 1.5 million homes are built”, amounting to a total of 365,000 social rent homes over the next five years to hit the target.The Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government said thousands of new affordable homes will start construction by March 2027 and be completed by July 2029.They said the funding will also “unlock development and opportunity” on sites that are ready and waiting for construction to begin in locations including Manchester and Liverpool.The chancellor announced the plans on a visit to an affordable housing site in Stoke-On-Trent with deputy prime minister Angela Rayner.Ms Reeves said: “We are fixing the housing crisis in this country with biggest boost in social and affordable housebuilding in a generation.“Today’s announcement will help drive growth through our Plan for Change by delivering up to 18,000 new homes, as well as jobs and opportunities, getting more money into working people’s pockets.”Her cabinet colleague Ms Rayner said: “Everyone deserves to have a safe and secure roof over their heads and a place to call their own, but the reality is that far too many people have been frozen out of homeownership or denied the chance to rent a home they can afford thanks to the housing crisis we’ve inherited.“This investment will help us to build thousands more affordable homes to buy and rent and get working people and families into secure homes and onto the housing ladder.“This is just the latest step forward in delivering our Plan for Change mission to build 1.5 million homes, and the biggest increase in social and affordable housing in a generation.”The number of households on local authority waiting lists, or registers, for social housing in England stood at 1,330,611 in 2024 – the highest figure in a decade.The previous highest figure was 1,370,410 in 2014.The government cautioned that the figure for those on waiting lists is likely to “overstate the number of households who still require social housing at any one time”.It said this is because some households can be recorded on more than one council’s list and registers are reviewed at varying times to remove those who no longer require housing.Figures published last month showed that both the number of households in temporary accommodation – a form of homelessness – and the number of children in this situation were at record highs.The number of children in temporary accommodation hit 164,040 as of the end of September – up 15% in a year and is the highest since records for this measure began in 2004.The number of households in temporary accommodation was also at a record high of 126,040, having increased 16% in a year.Matt Downie, chief executive of housing and homelessness charity Crisis, said Tuesday’s announcement is “hugely welcome” and hopefully “signals the beginning of a social housebuilding programme that will radically shift this country’s response to homelessness, putting housing at the heart of the solution”.He urged the Government to “ensure that the vast majority of the initial 18,000 homes are for social rent so that people facing homelessness can access them”.This plea was echoed by Shelter which said the funding is a “positive step” but that it is “vital that the majority of this funding is directed towards social rent housing, not expensive alternatives that won’t help struggling families”.The charity’s chief executive, Polly Neate repeated their call for a commitment to build 90,000 social homes a year, saying this vow was come in the June Spending Review.She added: “This is the Government’s moment to prove it is serious about tackling the housing emergency. Without a major funding commitment to 90,000 social homes a year for ten years, homelessness will keep spiralling, and millions will remain trapped in unstable, overpriced housing.”But Conservative shadow housing secretary Kevin Hollinrake said without cutting the numbers of people crossing the Channel in small boats, there was “simply no way for the government to stop every single home built with this funding from simply coping with the population growth from illegal migrants, many of who might not even have left Calais yet”.He added: “Only the Conservatives under new leadership will take action to stop illegal crossings and prevent millions from gaining access to social housing.”People in the UK illegally are unable to apply for social housing. Those who have been granted asylum can apply, but the Chartered Institute for Housing has said their lack of a “local connection” means they have less chance of securing a social home than longstanding UK residents.Meanwhile, Ms Reeves said she does not “recognise” reports ministers may means-test free school meals for young children as part of the cost-cutting drive across government and insisted the digital services tax was “hugely important”.Ahead of the spring statement, the prime minister told BBC Radio 5 Live on Tuesday that he wanted to “take some money out of Government” and was looking “across the board” at where to make spending cuts.Sir Keir insisted the government had made “record investments” at last October’s budget and that the statement would not “alter the basics” of public spending.He and the chancellor face a difficult fiscal situation, as Ms Reeves has repeatedly said she will not budge from her fiscal rules, which rule out borrowing to fund day-to-day spending.This has led to mounting pressure over how to balance the books – by raising taxes or cutting spending – amid disappointing growth figures and higher-than-expected borrowing.Although the chancellor is expected to announce a series of spending cuts on Wednesday, she has faced calls from some quarters to raise taxes on the richest instead.The charity Oxfam is among those calling for a 2% wealth tax on people with assets worth more than £10 million, saying a YouGov poll of 2,257 people showed 78% would back such a move, while 77% would rather see higher taxes on the rich than cuts in public spending. More

  • in

    Wealth tax almost impossible to implement, leading economist warns

    One of Britain’s leading economists has warned a wealth tax would be almost impossible to implement, despite growing support for the policy in the wake of the benefits cuts unveiled by the government last week. Paul Johnson, the director of the Institute for Fiscal Studies (IFS), warned that “no country in the world has ever successfully had a wealth tax that’s raised serious money”, saying the levy poses significant administrative problems.It comes as new polling shows the British public overwhelmingly support such a tax, while a growing number of Labour MPs have urged the government to introduce it instead of making spending cuts. Paul Johnson More

  • in

    Government urged to ‘grasp the nettle’ on social media’s impact on young men

    The Government has been urged to “grasp the nettle” in tackling technology and social media’s impact on young men’s mental health.Jake Richards, Labour MP for Rother Valley, described the increase in male suicides as “part of a wider storm we face with worsening mental health and mental health provisions for men”.According to mental health charity Mind, in 2023 6,069 deaths registered in England and Wales were caused by suicide, with the rates of suicide being higher for men, at around 75%.During an adjournment debate on male suicide in Rotherham, Mr Richards made reference to the Netflix show Adolescence – which he said shines a light on “how the internet can remould ideas of masculinity and purpose”.He said: “Men, especially young men, are spending less time outside, less time meeting people and communicating in person, all the things that make us far happier and healthier.“They’re often sat alone for hours being bombarded with algorithms showing unrealistic representations of life or communicating through anonymous group chats.“Research shows self-harm content has sometimes been allowed to flourish on social media by companies failing to remove explicit images and encouraging those engaging with such content to befriend one another.“And the arrival of smartphones has taken place parallel to sharp rises of depression and anxiety in our young people. Of particular concern is the impact mobile phones has on our young people.“The average 12-year-old now spends 29 hours a week on their phone, the equivalent to a part-time job.”He added: “Since 2010, the average time teens spend with friends each day has fallen by 65% so I applaud recent Government announcements about reviewing these areas of policy, but I urge them to grasp the nettle when it comes to technology, phones, young people and mental health.“In a decade’s time, I believe we will wonder why we did not do so far sooner.”Labour MP Amanda Martin said suicide was the leading cause of death for men aged 20-49 in her constituency of Portsmouth North, and told MPs how it had impacted her own sons.She said: “As the mum of three lads, or should I say, young men, it is heartbreaking to know that they have had first-hand experience in their friendship groups of male suicide.“Fortunately, I can say that not all of those attempts were successful in ending their lives, but some were. This has left a lasting impact on their outlook, on their friendships, and has been devastating to those around them.“It is time for the Government to take bold steps in tackling this crisis. We need targeted funding for mental health services in combination, with strong support for those at risk, whether they be veterans, construction workers or young men, we must create safe spaces for men to open up, and we must ensure that no man feels that suicide is his only option.”Health minister Stephen Kinnock said the Government is taking steps to address online harms and assessing what else can be done, including on “harmful content shared in pro-suicide websites and forums”.He added there is “still uncertainty” over the relationship between screentime, social media use and child development, with the Department for Science, Innovation and Technology expected to publish research in May.Mr Kinnock told MPs: “I would like to end with a call to action: suicide is everyone’s business.“When we improve men’s health, the benefits can ripple through families, communities, societies and the economy.“When we strive to improve men’s health, this will not just transform the lives of boys and men, it will also transform the lives of their wives, mothers, sisters, partners, mates, neighbours, children, teachers and doctors.“That’s why I want to strongly encourage all the men listening to go to the Change NHS online portal to give their views on how to build an NHS fit for the future through our 10-year health plan.“Together we will transform healthcare for men in the Rother Valley, in the north of England and across our country.” More

  • in

    Shocking figures reveal UK spends double the defence budget on working age benefits

    The UK spends more than twice as much on benefits for working-age people as it does on defence each year, a new analysis by The Independent can reveal, laying bare the shocking scale of Britain’s welfare bill.As Sir Keir Starmer faces a potential backlash over plans to end disability payments for around 1 million people, figures from the Department for Work and Pensions show the government spend on all working-age benefits is £117.6bn – representing 4.5 per cent of GDP and is 9.2 per cent of the government’s overall budget. That is more than double the amount spent on defence (£56.4bn) and more than the entire education budget (£116bn).The former head of the Royal Navy, Admiral Lord West warned: “This is unsustainable if we wish to avoid war and survive as a nation.”Work and pensions secretary Liz Kendall leaves Downing Street, London, after a Cabinet meeting More

  • in

    Fears Putin will abuse human rights laws against British peacekeepers in Ukraine

    British troops sent to Ukraine as part of a planned peacekeeping force could face “lawfare” under human rights legislation, Tory MPs have warned. They called on the defence secretary to create an exemption from the European Convention on Human Rights (ECHR) for any soldiers sent to the region. Former Tory cabinet minister David Davis urged the government to recognise its “duty of care to those who fight for their country and then face decades of lawfare.” James Cartlidge, the shadow defence secretary, also called for the move to offer “maximum protection for our armed forces”. Tory MPs are excised about the British troops and veterans who have served in Afghanistan, Iraq and Northern Ireland who have faced prosecutions in recent years.Firefighters work following a Russian attack near Kyiv More

  • in

    Spring statement latest: Starmer and Trump hold talks over ‘economic prosperity deal’ amid threat of tariffs

    Keir Starmer reveals talks with Gareth Southgate on toxic masculinity ‘crisis’ facing young men in UKSir Keir Starmer has spoken to US President Donald Trump about an economic prosperity deal as the threat of tariffs looms over the UK.A Downing Street representative said the UK was working with the US on an “economic prosperity deal” to build on “our shared strength of that commitment to economic security.”While he confirmed “the UK will only do a deal in the national interest”, the spokesperson refused to be drawn into saying whether scrapping the digital services tax, which impacts US tech giants, was part of the discussion.“The Chancellor this morning said that the digital services tax is hugely important,” he said, adding it brings in around £800 million a year.This comes as Sir Keir told BBC Radio 5 Live that the government were looking to make savings “across the board” ahead of the spring statement on Wednesday.While Rachel Reeves mooted a cut of 10,000 jobs in the civil service,The Times reported that the cuts are likely to reduce the civil service size by up to 50,000 jobs Watch: Keir Starmer reveals talks with Gareth Southgate on toxic masculinity ‘crisis’ facing young men in UKKeir Starmer reveals talks with Gareth Southgate on toxic masculinity ‘crisis’ facing young men in UKAthena Stavrou24 March 2025 14:33BBC presenter hits out at ‘incredibly dumb’ decision to axe long-running showRead the full story by my colleague Maira Butt here:Athena Stavrou24 March 2025 14:17Nadia Whittome pens letter to government pledging to vote against welfare cutsLeft-wing Labour MP Nadia Whittome has written to work and pensions secretary Liz Kendall to express “deep concerns” about the proposed welfare cuts announced by the government last week, warning they will cause “immense harm”.Vowing to vote against the cuts, the MP for Nottingham East said: “I must oppose measures that will make disabled people poorer and widen inequality in this country.”She added: “I sincerely hope that the government listens to the deep concern and distress of disabled people, and the warnings from experts on disability and poverty”.It comes amid growing discontent among Labour MPs after the announcement of sweeping cuts to the welfare bill, which will primarily impact disabled people.Millie Cooke24 March 2025 13:59Reform launch campaign for by-electionReform UK leader, Nigel Farage has joined the party’s newest parliamentary candidate, Sarah Pochin as she launches her campaign.Ms Pochin has announced her candidacy for the upcoming by-election in the Cheshire constituency of Runcorn and Helsby, after incumbent MP Mike Amesbury announced he would stand down following his conviction earlier this year for assaulting a constituent.( More

  • in

    MPs get inflation-busting pay rise as they prepare to slash benefits

    MPs are to receive an inflation-busting 2.8 per cent pay rise this year – taking their wages to almost £94,000. The Independent Parliamentary Standards Authority (Ipsa), set up in the wake of the expenses scandal, said the move would reflect the “vital role” of MPs.But the increase comes as MPs prepare to vote on moves that will see an estimated million disabled people lose their benefits, after Labour took an axe to the UK’s ballooning welfare bill.Even before the pay rise was confirmed critics said it would be a “bitter pill” for taxpayers to swallow and MPs were being rewarded for failure. The House of Commons (Stefan Rousseau/PA) More