More stories

  • in

    Boris Johnson urged by almost 50 MPs to ensure schools ‘go back to normal’ on 19 July

    Boris Johnson is facing calls from almost 50 Conservative MPs to ensure schools “go back to normal” on a permanent footing when all remaining Covid restrictions are lifted in England — currently scheduled for 19 July.In a letter to the prime minister, senior figures including former leader Iain Duncan Smith, said the current self-isolation policy is “unsustainable” and causing “unnecessary and significant disruption”.The demand comes after the education secretary, Gavin Williamson, said the government wanted to scrap school “bubbles” within weeks, with a decision before 19 July — Step 4 of the government’s Covid roadmap.Mr Johnson is yet to announce whether the government will press ahead with unlocking the remaining areas of the economy in three weeks’ time, but new health secretary Sajid Javid told MPs earlier this week he was “very confident” the easing of restrictions would go ahead.According to the latest data, more than 330,000 students were self-isolating due to potential contact with a Covid cases last week, with tens of thousands out of the classroom with a suspected or confirmed infection.The signatories, which also include the chair of the Commons education committee Robert Halfon, and former ministers Caroline Nokes and Esther McVey, insisted: “Children have sacrificed so much to keep the country safe during the pandemic.“It is vital that all schools go back to normal for 19 July when restrictions lift, even if just for the last few days of term.”The 48 MPs said: “This will send a signal ahead of the autumn that the route to freedom is a ‘one way road’ and genuinely ‘irreversible’.”“Guidance on self-isolation is causing unnecessary and significant disruptions to the education of hundreds of thousands of children,” they added. “This disproportionate policy is unsustainable and is causing deep uncertainty and anxiety among a cohort who have already suffered enough.“Restrictions such as bubbles in schools are causing ongoing and severe disruption and preventing schools from operating normally and being able to offer the full array of extra curriculum activities and sports which are so vital for children’s health.“Sports days are being cancelled and children are missing out on end of term music concerts, performances, proms, and many other things which normally enrich education.”The letter has been coordinated by the UsforThem campaign group, whose co-founder Molly Kingsley asked: “Haven’t children sacrificed enough in keeping the country safe during the pandemic?”“It is vital that we now restore normality in schools and we are delighted to receive so much support from MPs,” she added. “We need to get rid of the self-isolation guidance, the disruptive bubbles and send a clear message that schools are going back to normal on a permanent basis”. More

  • in

    Batley and Spen by-election ‘Ask Me Anything’ hosted live by chief political commentator John Rentoul

    The Batley and Spen by-election has been one of the most keenly anticipated for years, with speculation swirling around a possible challenge to Sir Keir Starmer’s leadership if Labour loses its second seat to the government since he took over.We will know the result on Friday morning, and whatever it is, it is likely to have a big impact. If Labour do lose, the questions about Sir Keir’s position will become more persistent. While a leadership election seems unlikely – it would need 40 MPs to back a single alternative candidate – the unhappiness in the party will intensify. A poll of Labour Party members yesterday found that 69 per cent thought Andy Burnham, the mayor of Manchester, would do a better job as leader than Sir Keir, and defeat in Batley and Spen will do nothing to reduce that number. There could, however, be different degrees of defeat, ranging from a close fight fought well by Kim Leadbeater – a stronger candidate than Paul Williams in Hartlepool – to the disaster of Labour coming third to George Galloway, the anti-Starmer spoiler candidate who has campaigned ruthlessly, especially among Muslim voters, who make up one in five of the constituency’s electorate. Of course, the best result for Sir Keir would be for Labour to hold the seat, which really would be a sensational upset; that fact alone tells you how politics has been turned upside down. However, I suspect that suggestions from Labour sources today that they think they might just “edge it” are designed to get journalists talking about whether Labour really can win instead of talking about his leadership. The speculation has become a feedback loop of negativity that is damaging Sir Keir, even though the chances of an actual contest are low.I will be here at 4pm tomorrow to answer your questions. If you have a question, submit it now, or when I join you live at 4pm on Friday (2 July). All you have to do is register to submit your question in the comments below.If you’re not already a member, click “sign up” in the comments box to leave your question. Don’t worry if you can’t see your question – they will be hidden until I join the conversation to answer them. Then join us live on this page at 4pm as I tackle as many questions as I can. More

  • in

    Batley and Spen by-election: Voting opens as Keir Starmer faces critical test

    Sir Keir Starmer is facing a critical test of his 15-month leadership of Labour as voters begin heading to the polls in a critical West Yorkshire by-election for the party.Labour is defending a majority of more than 3,000 in Batley and Spen — a seat held by the party since 1997 — but the bookies have the Conservatives as odds on favourites for another rare by-election for an incumbent government.It comes after the party descended into bitter in-fighting last month following a spate of local election disappointments and defeat in the Hartlepool by-election, which switched to the Conservatives for the first time since the seat was created in 1974.The by-election today was first seen a straight fight between Labour’s Kim Leadbeater — the sister of Jo Cox, who was murdered in the constituency in 2016 — and the Tories’ Ryan Stephenson, but the arrival of George Galloway in the seat has provided an extra headache for Labour’s campaign managers.Amid calls from left-wing figures for Sir Keir to step down as Labour leader should the party lose the by-election to the Conservatives on Thursday, Sir Keir’s official spokesperson was defiant on the eve of voting, insisting he was “not going to resign”.“Keir has been absolutely clear that this is a four year path to get back into power and he is determined and to lead the party into the next general election and take us back into government,” they added.However, his position could be destabilised if another MP attracts the support of 40 colleagues — 20 per cent of the parliamentary party — to launch a leadership challenge against Sir Keir, who succeeded Jeremy Corbyn in April 2020. More

  • in

    DUP leader rocked by resignation on first day in charge

    New Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) leader Sir Jeffrey Donaldson has been rocked by the resignation of one of his party’s representatives at Stormont on his first full day in charge.Alex Easton, the North Down MLA, has announced his decision to quit the DUP – citing a lack of “respect, discipline or decency” in the party.“I have had to stand back and watch as colleagues tear themselves apart, brief against other colleagues and run to the media in order to hurt each other on a daily basis,” said Mr Easton.“There is no respect, discipline or decency, I have just had enough,” added the MLA, who will now sit in the Northern Ireland Assembly as an independent.The move comes after two months of unprecedented turmoil for the party. Successive revolts deposed former leader Arlene Foster and then her successor Edwin Poots, who quit after just 21 days in the job. Sir Jeffrey vowed to unite the party after being ratified as leader by members of the DUP executive on Wednesday night.The party’s 58-year-old Westminster leader was the only candidate to put his name forward for the DUP leadership after the dramatic resignation of Mr Poots earlier this month.Speaking to the media after he was confirmed, Sir Jeffrey said: “There has been a lot of talking, I have spent time over the past few days talking quietly to colleagues, including Edwin (Poots). There have been things we have said to each other, recognising the hurt that has been caused.”He added: “I think that has been good, it has been cathartic for the party and I think there is now a united determination. There is a desire to unite, to draw together, because in our unity is our strength.”Sir Jeffrey also said he still expected Boris Johnson to “right the wrong” of the Brexit trade arrangements outlined in the Northern Ireland Protocol.He referred to the ongoing row over the protocol after a High Court ruling on Wednesday said that it conflicts with the Act of Union – the legislation that created the United Kingdom – but is still lawful.Sir Jeffrey said: “I expect the prime minister to put right this wrong, I expect the prime minister to take the action that is required to restore our place within the UK.”The new leader has made clear his intent to return from Westminster to assume the first minister’s job at Stormont. However, the timeline for that move remains unclear.He would have to trigger a parliamentary by-election in Lagan Valley in order to re-enter the Northern Ireland Assembly.It is unclear whether he would want to prompt such a contest in the near future, given the DUP’s recent poor poll ratings. More

  • in

    Andy Murray rebukes Boris Johnson over ‘pathetic’ 1% NHS pay rise

    Tennis star Andy Murray has joined condemnation of the government for the “pathetic” 1% pay rise given to NHS workers, moments after winning an exhausting five-set second-round win at Wimbledon.Answering questions after the game, he said it was “fantastic” many frontline health workers and other key figures of the pandemic had been recognised by being invited to the championships.“I think the whole country kind of realised how important they all are, and maybe hadn’t got the recognition that they probably deserve up until now,” Murray said.“So, yeah, it’s fantastic that they have been able to come along and watch some of the tennis. Hopefully they can enjoy it and, yeah, hopefully the politicians can realise that they deserve more than what they are getting paid just now.“I think, what is it, they got something like a 1% pay rise? It was pathetic. So, yeah, they obviously deserve a lot more than that. They have done an amazing job getting us through the pandemic.”Prime Minister Boris Johnson in March insisted the 1% payrise allocated to NHS staff was as much as the Government could afford amid the financially tight times of the pandemic, although Labour said it went against a Government promise made last year for a 2.1% pay rise.With Wimbledon resuming this summer after being cancelled last year, tournament officials have been applauded for inviting various people who have been at the forefront of the fight against the pandemic.Inside centre court on Monday, Oxford University’s Dame Sarah Gilbert – co-creator of the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine – was given a standing ovation by the crowd when her attendance was announced. Oxford colleague Sir Andrew Pollard, another co-creator of the vaccine, was also present on Monday.An ovation was also given for Hannah Ingram, daughter of Captain Sir Tom Moore, who last year raised £33 million of pounds for the NHS.The centre court announcer said NHS critical care staff were also in attendance, along with key workers at Transport for London and other “inspirational workers” who have contributed to Britain’s pandemic battle, while more figures would be recognised through the Wimbledon fortnight.Murray, the injury-plagued dual champion of the tournament, reached the third round of a Grand Slam for the first time in four years through his five-set win over Germany’s Oscar Otte.Asked about the nation’s other current obsession – Euro 2020 – the 34-year-old Surrey-dwelling Murray put his Scottish roots aside to wishEngland well.“It’s a great opportunity for England to win a major competition for the first time in a while,” he said. “Hopefully they can do it.” More

  • in

    Sir Jeffrey Donaldson ratified as new leader of DUP

    The Democratic Unionist Party’s Westminster leader has been officially ratified as the leader of the party, following a meeting of party executives.Sir Jeffrey Donaldson’s appointment was approved at the La Mon Hotel in Belfast, Northern Ireland, on Wednesday evening.Over the weekend, the 58-year-old MP for Lagan Valley secured the backing of most of the DUP’s electoral college of party MPs and MLAs, receiving support from all but four of the college’s 36 members.Sir Jeffrey said that he had spent the past few days “talking quietly” to party members, shoring up his support.Speaking to media after receiving the party’s backing, Sir Jeffrey said that he had been “humbled” by his unanimous ratification.“There are many challenges ahead but I am confident now that the DUP will face those challenges together,” he said.“I am confident that the party will now build towards the Assembly elections and I intend to work to ensure that once again the Democratic Unionist Party prevails in the election.”Sir Jeffrey is the fifth leader to lead the DUP in its 50-year history, and its third in less than two months.He takes on the role following Edwin Poots’ resignation earlier this month. Mr Poots resigned over an internal party revolt caused by his decision to nominate Paul Givan as Northern Ireland’s First Minister against the wishes of a majority of DUP MLAs and MPs.Mr Poots held the role of party leader for just 21 days after Arlene Foster resigned on 28 May, after 75 per cent of MPs and MLAs expressed that they had lost confidence in her leadership.In his comments on Wednesday evening, Sir Jeffrey said that ratifying his leadership was an “important first step in building the unity of my party, in rebuilding the strength of my party, in providing the leadership that Northern Ireland needs at this time.”“We are seeing our party coming back together,” he said.He added that his first priority would be to “right the wrong” that had been done by the imposition of the Northern Ireland protocol, and that he intends to speak with Boris Johnson as a matter of urgency.He also made it clear that he intends to return from Westminster and take up the role of First Minister at Stormont, but has not set a timeline for this change, which would require a parliamentary by-election in Lagan Valley, to allow him to re-enter the Assembly.For the time being, he said, Mr Givan will remain in the First Minister role.Sir Jeffrey is expected to make his first keynote speech as party leader on 1 July. More

  • in

    Angela Rayner says reported Labour leadership challenge to Keir Starmer is ‘news to me’

    Labour’s deputy leader Angela Rayner has said a report that her supporters are preparing a leadership challenge to Sir Keir Starmer if he loses the Batley & Spen by-election is “news to me.”MPs have been canvassing support among parliamentary colleagues and trade unions, The Times reported.She would need the support of 40 MPs — 20 per cent of the parliamentary party — to mount a challenge.Left-wing MPs have been approached about a possible challenge if Labour’s performance at Thursday’s by-election is poor, the newspaper said.Rayner herself tweeted on Wednesday night: “The ‘story’ on the front page of @thetimes tomorrow is news to me.”Sir Keir has already said he will not resign if Labour loses the former seat of Jo Cox, who was murdered in the constituency in 2016.The Labour leader’s spokesman insisted on Wednesday that he is on a “four-year path” to lead the party back into power and would not be standing down if he oversaw another electoral defeat.The West Yorkshire constituency has voted Labour since 1997, but there are real concerns within the party that it could be seized by Boris Johnson’s Conservatives on Thursday.New polling has suggested that as many as four in 10 Labour members would want Sir Keir to stand down and make way for new leadership in the wake of a loss there, with seven in 10 preferring Andy Burnham — despite the Greater Manchester mayor no longer being an MP.The Batley and Spen by-election was triggered after Tracy Brabin, who won the seat for Labour in 2019 with a 3,525 majority over the Conservatives, was elected as the mayor of West Yorkshire in May.Labour lost Hartlepool in its traditional heartlands to the Conservatives last month and it also polled poorly in the Chesham and Amersham by-election. More

  • in

    Dozens of Covid meetings with minister undeclared for 12 months in ‘admin error’

    More than two dozen Covid meetings held by an under-fire government minister went undeclared for more than a year due what the government described as “administration error”, it has emerged.Lord Bethell’s discussions with companies, including some awarded contracts worth millions of pounds during the pandemic response, were included in an update to the government’s transparency data yesterday.The Mirror reported the updated records showed that 27 meetings held in the first week of April 2020 — at the height of the first wave of the UK’s Covid crisis— were not disclosed in a list publicly released last October.The Department of Health and Social Care (DHSC) told The Independent the failure to declare one weeks’ worth of meetings, included in an update to the records on Tuesday, were “due to an administrative error”.“This has now been corrected with the full list of meetings, including those from 1 April-5 April, available to review in the usual way,” a spokesperson for the department said.The revelation comes as the health minister faces calls to resign for his use of a personal email — rather than official communication channels — for government-related business.No 10 acknowledged Lord Bethell had use a private account, but also suggested that was allowed within the rules, while the peer insisted he had upheld the ministerial code “in everything I do”.The health minister told peers this week: “In terms of the use of private email can I just reassure members that I have read the ministerial code, I have signed the ministerial code and I seek to uphold it in everything I do.”Responding to concerns raised with him in the upper chamber, the Tory frontbencher said: “I am absolutely rigorous to ensure that government business is conducted through the correct formal channels.”Contracts were negotiated by officials, not ministers, and went via “departmental digital boxes”, with decisions communicated “through secure governmental infrastructure”.But Labour reiterated its call for a “full-scale” cross-government investigation into the use of private emails by ministers, which the party said must now include any undeclared meetings.Angela Rayner, the party’s deputy leader, insisted on Wednesday: “Lord Bethell must be sacked immediately and this racket must end now.“Conservative ministers think that there is one rule for them and another for the rest of us, and the stench of sleaze coming from he government is overpowering”.She added: “Boris Johnson already showed that he lacks the qualities required of a prime minister by failing to sack Matt Hancock.“We need a full and independent inquiry into the private emails and undeclared meetings across government that have seen taxpayers’ money handed out to Conservative cronies and the sleaze that is polluting our democracy”. More